This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incredibly slow updates download

Former Member
Former Member
Hey guys, I just bought my device and upon connecting it with the software it wanted to update! Pretty cool! Until I noticed that the average download speed was about 200kB/s. It's painful and makes me have second thoughts about my choice of GPS brand when the first thing I encounter is beyond slow - slow speed. This is worse than ISDN modems!
Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's not my connection since it's tested (and monitored). With 50Mbps line avg 5MB/s downloads and from your servers... 200kB/s... Simply put, it's a disgrace for this to happen in 2014.

Also, why does your software say (with capital letters) to NOT disconnect the device while the update is downloading? It kept my laptop's USB jailed for over 6 hours!
Simply put, first experience... sucks!

hope this post works as a constructive comment and not as a flamewar, etc.
  • Still in 2019 I experience the same problem. Downloading with a speed of 100-140 kB/s - my files will take 60 hours to download. Cannot believe this is happening...Rage

• My downloads of the full EU map take around 30 minutes, you need to look closer to home Slight smile

• Same here.  I have 200MB download and I NEVER have this much trouble downloading anything.  Garmin, you need to fix this.  It's obviously on your end.  All these people just can't have bad systems.  September 2019 and this has been on the forums for 5 years with no plausible explanation.  What gives Garmin?

• Do not buy this sat nav. Completely useless. By the way negative posts are being moderated and removed so use other social media. I am so angered by this rubbish I have taken up a campaign online to prevent people from buying Garmin products.

• Working for Garmin by any chance ? No one else on the planet appears to be able to achieve the same.

• What satnav?  This thread is about Express

Incidentally negative threads aren't removed but new users do have to be moderated to prevent spam, I've just cleared a number of your posts which is why these two are here Slight smile

• This site seems littered with your replies saying that there isn't a problem with download speeds, yet the number of threads rather suggests that there is.

I'm also in the UK on an un-throttled Vodafone connection getting 36Mbs with a fully copper/fibre connection (no WiFi). Garmin maps are coming down at 2.8Mb/s. Like other users, I don't have any issues with other data downloads - just Garmin updates. 

I don't see any evidence that my ISP is throttling particular traffic. I would be interested if you had evidence to the contrary.

FYI - I have been in performance testing for c 20 years.

• Rather than reply to a year old thread please start a new one as software versions etc have moved on since then. Thanks