This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 510 Missing software error

I have the same issue. Is there any way to fix this. I can't believe that Garmin releases software that was not tested.
  • Edge 510 Missing software error

I am getting a Missing Software error on my Edge 510 after trying to upgrade to the new firmware. Is there anyway that I can recover from this? The unit is not accessible and is not recognized by the computer if connected via USB. I would really appreciate advice. I can't believe that Garmin releases firmware updates without testing it first.
  • Software was almost certainly tested, what's gone wrong for a few of you is that it hasn't installed correctly, for whatever reason, possibly due to disconnecting the device too early. Can you try a master reset to see what happens? Instructions are here https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B77bcd0f0-4ac2-11e2-e8a7-000000000000%7D
  • I already tried to do a Master reset but it does not go past the SOFTWARE MISSING error message.

Steps followed:
    Power device off
    Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop
    Power device on while still holding both buttons
    Continue holding buttons when the Garmin "splash" screen appears
    Release buttons when Garmin "splash" screen disappears....the Garmin just goes back to Software Missing error screen with beep.
  • Try forcing the unit in to mass storage mode and then rerun Express once the device is showing on your PC. To do so, turn unit off, then hold the lap/reset button while plugging the unit into the USB. Continue holding the lap/reset for 30 seconds and the unit should go to mass storage.
  • I am not sure if the device goes into mass storage mode after the process of the lap/reset button and connecting to USB (how can you check this because it does not show as an drive on the computer) but Garmin Express see it as a unsupported device and starts downloading the Garmin map update but then stops after this process showing that Device software 3.00 needs to be installed. The problem is that although the Install All button is active it does not do anything when you click on it. I also tried the WebUpdater and it sees the device and it wants to upgrade from 2.9 to 3. It downloads the software but at 100% it says that the file is corrupt. So I am still sitting with Software missing error screen :) Thank you for your support so far.
  • Moving this to the Express forum as the team there should be able to give further help.
  • Thank you.
    Please note that I am performing this all on a Mac. I have a windows pc as well but the Garmin Express software can't be setup because the PC does not detect the Edge 510 unit.
  • I'm having same issue. On Mac. Tried to update software on Edge 510 and Garmin WebUpdater said the file was corrupt and now the 510 screen just says "Software Missing." Have tried hard reset as instructed but to no avail. Tried forcing into mass storage by holding lap button while connecting but no change. Looking forward to response. Thank you.
  • Have you tried using Disk Utility to verify the filesystem on the 510? If it come up with an error, you might try repairing it if you feel adventurous (but if it were me, I'd back it up first by copying everything on it). OS X knows how to verify/repair the FAT filesystem that Garmin devices come with.
  • I have tried to use Disk Utility but the problem is that my computer does not see this drive so I am not able to verify/repair it.