This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express does not allow loading of maps onto Drive 52 with SD card

I'm using Garmin Express 7.19 on an Intel mac running Mac Os Monterey (12.7.1)

I'm updating a Drive 52 with a 16 GB SD card. The card is FAT32 (edited) formatted and named NO NAME.

Garmin Express will not allow me to update the device directly.  It says there is not enough space in the device's internal memory!  That is true, but there's plenty of space on the SD card.

I found a workaround, which was to download the map onto my computer (which still required the Drive 52 to be connected - go figure), and then used Garmin MapInstall to copy it onto the device.  This appears to have worked and there are now some files on the SD card.

However, Garmin Express is still reporting that my map needs to be updated, and furthermore I can't find any confirmation that it's the latest version (2024.20) on my device.  It appears in MapManager as 2024.2 and also 27.20; which is highly confusing.

So, I guess my questions are:

1. Is the inability to recognise the SD card a bug in either Garmin Express or the Drive 52?

2. How can I tell which version of map I have installed on my device? (and are versions 2024.20 and 2024.2 different versions?)

3. How can I convince Garmin Express that my device is now up-to-date so I can more easily tell when the NEXT map update is available? 

Many thanks in advance.

Bob

• Card should be FAT32 formatted, not FAT. Installing the map to your computer shouldn't need the device connected, I never do. Sending the map to your device using MapInstall will work but isn't recommended as only the map is sent, a map update to your device using Express sends other files needed for your device to function correctly, eg an updated junction view file, and isn't just a 'map update'. As Express hasn't installed the map and additional files it will report you need an update, that is normal.

I suggest you format the card correctly and try again using Express.

• Thanks for your reply.  I've just checked with Disk Utility and the SD-card actually is FAT32 formatted already, so that can't be the cause of the problem.  Sorry for confusing you.

Any other thoughts?

Bob

• Then run Express and see if it will now install the map correctly 

• An attempt I've tried multiple times with zero success.

• I'm locking this in favour of your other post.