This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express Mac not working properly with Nüvi670

I'm trying to install the Europe Map on my Nüvi670, but Garmin Express fails because of lack of memory. 
On my Nüvi is 4GB available, but Express refuses to install.

Garmin Express doesn't even check, when I delete the whole map. It shows the maps in the list even though they do not exist anymore.

I also have a SD-card installed - Garmin Express does not offer to install maps there.

Updating or changing Maps worked fine all the time -  but this Garmin-Express is a complete failure.

I purchased a Lifetime- Maps-Update, but I can't use the maps or the Nüvi anymore, if the software to manage the maps does not work!!

• I don't know if this is relevant or not.  I had a similar problem with my Drive 52.  To cut a long story short, I discovered that most of the space was taken by a folder named .System/SID.  It had about a dozen or so .sid files, some of which were over 200MB long. I deleted all of them except those with the latest date, then emptied the Trash (on Mac).  This freed up a lot of space and Express now updated my map.  I expect I will need to repeat this for every update.  For some reason that I don't fully understand, these files must on the device, not on any extension SD card.

I note that you're in a Mac forum so I assume that you're using the MacOS.  Finder does not usually display files/folders whose names begin with a dot, so .System won't normally be listed.  You can change this option by using Finder to navigate to a folder, and then typing CMD+SHIFT+dot. (Hold down the CMD and SHIFT keys, press the dot (".") key, then release CMD and SHIFT).  Repeat CMD+SHIFT+dot to toggle this display on and off.

And for Mac users, if you haven't done so already, turn off Spotlight for the Garmin device and any SD-card extension.

• Garmin no longer offer map updates to many older devices, yours is one of those I'm afraid

support.garmin.com/.../

• I guess it's the same problem that older computers have with modern software.  Software complexity increases over time, but a processor's speed is fixed on the day it is built.