This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express crashes on initial sync of a new Epix 2 Pro

Garmin Express crashes when I try to sync an Epix 2 Pro.  I'm on latest Garmin Express and latest MacOS.

This was on the first time sync where it updates the maps.  It takes a long time for it show an MB/s transfer rate and crashes almost immediately.  Tried rebooting.  Crashed again.

Also, each time unplug the watch it is stuck on the charging screen so I have to hard reset it by holding the upper right button for several seconds.

Unusable.

Garmin Express v7.17.2

Apple M2 Pro

13.4.1 (22F82)

• Uninstall Garmin Express completely. Download and reinstall a fresh version

• I am encountering the same issues on my M2 pro mac mini.
    Just got a new Epix 2 pro.

Garmin express crashes in various ways but mostly when trying to download any maps updates.
    I don't have any software updates available but the garmin app store still has apps complaining I'm not on the latest version.

Download speed is ~31 MB/s.

• I have a similar issue with Fenix 7S Pro Sapphire Solar.

I've narrowed down one of the issues, with sending music to the device.

My Mac is a 2015 Intel, so I have Windows dual boot. I have a NAS with my music there and on my previous Forerunner 645M it would send everything absolutely fine. With this it would crash anywhere between sending 20 and 75 songs.

In Windows bootcamp, I installed iTunes x64 and mapped the NAS, created a playlist and installed garmin express - this time it simply said 'cannot send the files' and listed them all. So I copied them all locally and recreated the playlist to point at them - sending music then worked fine.

This issue is hence limited to the Mac version of Express.

Also, Express in Windows did not show an update needed, whereas in Mac it did, but would never install - simply dropped back to the main screen after downloading.

Downloading maps was the same on Mac, it would take forever to download and then just drop back to the main screen.

In Windows, all is fine.

Hoping they can fix this soon, every time I buy a new Garmin it's the SAME merry go round. Crap buggy software for 12 months till they get it working.

• In my case (new Epix g2) it kept (repeatable) crashing on trying to update maps. Would download maps (ages) then crash. Latest version of Express, MacBook Pro macOS 14.2 (loads of memory, disk space, etc.)

• Just tried it on my new M3 pro with Sonoma. To begin with - syncing and sending maps was fine.

I then thought I'd try music. Added the music to Apple Music from the mapped NAS drive, launched Express, went to music and tried to send them.

This time, it prompted for permission to access the network drive, so obviously hit Yes.

It started sending them, then crashed about 30seconds in.

Now reopening it has (null file) x2 error every time.

So it's not an Intel thing at least, it's definitely an Express being crap thing.

Guess it'll be 2025 and the Fenix 9ST+ Pro that will get this fixed, at this rate.

• I have a similar issue. Garmin Express will hang (beachball of death) each time I connect my Epix 2 Pro on my MBP. I have not attempted to transfer music, nor are there any current OS or apps pending install. I have confirmed MFA login etc

This happened as soon as I joined the beta program. Are you guys on the (watch) beta program as well?

• I see multiple "Garmin Express" and "Garmin Express Service" network related errors in the MacOS console:

tcp_input [C117.1.1:3] flags=[R.] seq=778236808, ack=1431833768, win=0 state=ESTABLISHED rcv_nxt=778236808, snd_una=1431833768

nw_read_request_report [C117] Receive failed with error "Connection reset by peer"