This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I transfer BlueChart G3 charts to a new device

I bought the HXEU001R - English Channel charts earlier this year and was using them on my eTrex 30x. I've now bought a GPSMAP 66i and I want to transfer them onto the new device.

I can't see any way to do this in Express. How can I transfer them (just putting the microSD card in the new unit didn't work, but I didn't expect it to).

• I see from another thread that downloaded maps are locked to the device they are first registered to. I assume this also applies to marine charts.

If so, this is massively disappointing. I have no need for the charts on the old device, having to buy them again is expensive.

Presumably that means if for example I lost my GPS unit, that I'd also lose access to the charts I'd bought. Is there really no way for Garmin to transfer the registration to a new device ?

• If you bought the files as a download then yes, they're locked to the device. If you bought them on a sd card then they're locked to the card so that card can be used in other compatible devices.

I'm not sure why you're disappointed though. Those facts would have been clear when you purchased the charts. This is what it says about the download version:

Download Requirements

Use with 1 Device Only

This product may be unlocked and used on 1 compatible device. If you want to use this same map on subsequent devices, you must purchase a new map for each device.

Data downloaded to a microSD/SD card is associated with the device you select during the download process. Please purchase additional quantities for additional devices. Reduced price map updates are not available for download purchases. If you want to update the maps, you must purchase a new download that includes the latest map data.

• I'm disappointed because that restriction isn't mentioned up front on the product pages, but hidden away on a link on a secondary tab.

Had I known of the restriction I wouldn't have bought the charts as a download, given that I knew I was planning on upgrading my GPS unit soon. Hiding away the restriction lead me to waste £130 on charts I'm not going to be able to use.

Unless you go to the Requirements tab and then click through to the View Detail link, there is no mention during the purchase process. I think an important restriction like this should be cleared called out when you are buying it.

I'm pretty sure that there was no mention of it during the install process either, though I could have missed it.

I'm lucky I didn't buy all of the charts I had planned to.

• Hardly hidden away, it's on a tab as you point out named 'requirements'.  That page has way too much information to be posted up front as you suggest. The fact you didn't look at that tab is hardly Garmin's fault.

Having said that, rather than continue to moan here you could try calling Garmin Product Support, they are often very helpful and you may find they will find some way to help you.

• No, it isn't on the requirements tab, the text on that tab says:

File Information

The file size of this download and space required on your microSDTm/SDTm card is 1.93 GB. It is not recommended that this download be loaded directly to your device. It only can be loaded to a prepared or blank microSD/SD card (recycled microSD cards may be used to program map data).

Up to 500 MB of additional space may be required for software updates.

I did look at the tab, to check how big an SD card I'd need. I didn't know that there was extra vital info on another page...

All I'm saying is that the requirements tab should have one single extra sentence giving the vital information that you can't transfer the maps after installing them.

I have tried contacting Garmin support, not managed to get an response out of them yet.

In the meantime I've just repurchased the charts. I'm still disappointed and I think they should be far more clear up front. With such and important restriction on how you can use the maps, it should be detailed clearly as you go through the purchase process, without having to go digging for extra detail that isn't listed up front.

• Well you could always make that suggestion here https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/

As your query has been answered, albeit not to your satisfaction, I'll close this thread