This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express and MAC OS Catalina

When there is a problem with the software as Garmin Express and Catalina for Mac - it puzzles me that Garmin does neither respond nor react. So Garmin. Please provide an update as to when we can expect Garmin Express to work with Catalina.

• And while you are at it, please instruct me how to use Garmin Connect mobile with a Garmin Forerunner 910 XT

• I agree, I reported the problem several time and more recently on November 21. I sent screen shots in a document to Garmin to show that I cannot update my VivoActive3 anymore using GarminExpress on Mac Catalina. Very frustrating. 

• it's up to 6.19.3 and still won't get past the app becoming non responsive with installer.

• It does't help. I did exactly that and still, since the Catalina update garmin express doesn't find my fenix 5plus. The watch charges and displays the connection icon, but the iMac doesn't.

• Do you have BaseCamp running at the same time,  or any other program that may be accessing your fenix?

• Catalina works with iMac and Macbook Pro. Period. If you are having problems then it is in your setup somewhere.

If you are still struggling, close all programs - use COMMAND+Q to make sure they are properly closed. Then re-open Garmin Express. If you are still having problems then you will likely need to make sure the cable or USB port is ok. One way to check that is to download and install Android File Transfer. Then, making sure that GE is properly closed, fire up Android File Transfer and see if that can connect to your watch. If you cannot see into the watch then either the cable or the USB port might be faulty.

• I was in contact with Garmin Support about 3-4 months ago as after one of the watch updates (Fenix 6S Pro) I was having problems with my music going onto my watch correctly (which is now fixed). While troubleshooting they asked if I had Catalina on my IMAC Pro as Catalina did not work well with the Garmin Express. 

I don't have Catalina because I still like ITUNES and they changed it on Catalina. Also before i tried to download it I went to other type of forums and people were having other technical difficulties, so I stayed away. I do know that I read that people were able to go back to the Mohave IOS, but not sure if it's still true.

They also had an  IOS update on the Catalina and not sure if that has changed the technical difficulties or not you would be experiencing on anything including Garmin Express. I think that  the IMAC techs should be aware or told of the problem too. 

I know when I research something on the Garmin Support I wish that it had a date with their suggested fixes because if it's old and things aren't working they probably won't. Also, it's nice to know what version of Catalina or Mohave people are using as well as the product. 

• What worked best for me was to delete the version of Express I had, restart, then install the newer one.

The problem is with Catalina!  It makes you approve devices you connect to your mac.  I even had issue with my brand new iPod in setting it up plugged into my mac!

The Drivesmart 65 wasn't of any issue when transferring my saved over from my old Nuvi 2555.

So best advice is DON'T UPGRADE to Catalina.  Like another user said the issue from iTunes to "Apple music" is another downgrade made by Apple.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago

As of today, May 22, 2020, I downloaded the latest version of Garmin Express for my Mac with OS Catalina and IT WORKED!  The latest version is 6.21.0.0  My maps updated flawlessly.