This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin express charging fenix 5 when connected to MacBook Pro but does not recognise phone and will not connect to sync or update software. How do you fix this issue?

Hello,

I am connecting my fenix 5 watch to the MacBook Pro.  It recognises the phone to charge it but is not recognised by Garmin Express.  As a result I am unable to update the software and unable to sync the fenix 5 watch with garmin express.  

Is this a common issue?

How do you fix it?

• Are you using the original cable?  Some third party cables are 'power only'.  Otherwise run through this FAQ https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=PEtKkmDWkF65Y5pC2CbJGA&searchType=noProduct which although it applies to automotive devices may help you also.

• I had the same issue, what sorted it out for me was:

- reboot (just to be sure all demons are dead)

- connect the F5, wait for the screen change away from your normal watch face

- then start Garmin Express - watch is recognized at this point

- when you are done, reverse the steps, i.e. first eject the watch in Garmin Express, the Cmd-Q Garmin Express (i.e. close it for good), then unplug the watch

You might have to remove and re-add the watch in Garmin Express if these steps don't resolve your issue.

• This seems to be a common problem and I tried to create another post on the forum, but it was blocked so who knows how many others are having issues. 

There is a thread on here someplace that talks about deleting files on your MAC within the Garmin folder (4-6 if memory serves me correctly), but I can't seem to locate a link to share.  

Aside from deleting these files, I have tried multiple cables, reset both devices, verified I'm running the most recent versions of software with no avail.  

The only solution I found is to let your watch completely die and plug it into your computer.  The easiest way to do this is to put in in a mapping function and put it inside where it will not be able to find any satellites.  It isn't ideal, but seems to be a work around. 

I hope this helps. 

Cheers!