This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to install maps using SD card on nuvi 1390

Hi all,

I have a Garmin nuvi 1390LMT. On the internal memory, there seems to be North America maps & Europe maps on the SD card. Would it be possible for me to switch that & have the
Europe maps on the internal memory & the North America maps on the SD card?

If so, how would I go about doing that using Garmin Express, Garmin MapInstall & Garmin MapManager.

Thank you!
  • You need to explain which map the device came with and how you got the other one on your device/card? Also why are you trying to do this?
  • Thanks for your reply!

I was wrong. Now, the North America map doesn't appear, only the Europe map. The Europe map is the Full Coverage of Europe 2019.10 map. The North America map I'm trying to install is the City Navigator North America NT 2019.2.

On Garmin Express, the system says that the device is up to date on both maps. When I click reinstall the North America map, it downloads it successfully. Then I open MapInstall to install the map to the device and then I get an error message telling me to try again later. The SD card in question has 32 GB of storage and more than enough is free & is mounted on to the computer correctly.

The device came with Europe map & I think I got the North America map on the device by MapInstall but it was a really long time ago & I can't really remember.

Any help is much appreciated!
  • The problem is without knowing some detail it's difficult to diagnose. If the NA maps were downloaded then they're not updateable. If you bought them in dvd they might be.

Call product support. They should be able to confirm for you.

• I bought Lifetime Updates with the North America maps. I have updated them in the past a few times before.
  • In that case confirm the map you want, 2019.20, is showing in express? If so Express should install it direct to your device, no need for MapInstall. If it won't exactly what error message is Express giving you?

• Garmin Express isn't showing that the 2019.20 is installed. Please see screenshots.

What I have tried to do from this point onwards is reinstall the North America map (Garmin Express says that it downloads it to the computer) then use MapInstall to transfer the map to the nuvi 1390LMT. Then, MapInstall seems to prepare and build the map fine (this takes about twenty minutes), but has a problem sending it to the nuvi 1390LMT. It says something along the lines of "The maps could not be installed at this time. Please try again later."ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1378149.png
  • Troubleshooting steps that I have taken:
    • updated Garmin Express to 6.6
    • deleted and reinstalled Garmin MapInstall
  • Your screen shots indicate you don't have lifetime maps on your NA map, if you did it would show a map version just like it does for the EU map. If you believe you do have lifetime maps for the NA as well as the EU maps you need to contact Product Support to resolve it.
  • Your screen shots indicate you don't have lifetime maps on your NA map. If you believe you do you need to contact Product Support to resolve it.

Ahhh, no wonder I was finding it hard to update it!

Thank you very much for your help.