This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Map udates don't work anymore - express update also fails

Hi,

Maybe this problem already has been covered in another thread, although I didn't find it right away.

I seem to have a double problem with Garmin Express :

Map updates :
I'm using garmin express version 3.2.27.0 on a windows 7 machine. In the process of updating my maps, it seems to stall :
it indicates new maps are available - but when I want to install them (at first only on the computer, because the zumo's memory isn't big enough for the entire Europe map anymore) it indicates : installation started.. about 2 hours remaining. And then the progress bar disappears and the application completely stalls.
Looking in taskmanager, it uses NO CPU, no IO and there is no network activity...

Client software update :
Then I tried to install a new version of Garmin Express by forcing an update from within the application : this returns an error : Failed, try again ?... without any success. (besides, the "automatic update" option in the Garmin express client was turned on, so I assume it should already have been updated without intervention ?)

Even when manually downloading the newest software from Garmin, it fails to install, also an "uninstall' from the windows 'programs and features' control panel fails just as well...

I did notice the application wrote some different logs in folder "c:\users\all users\garmin\events\errors\sent errors" which might contain an indication about what is going wrong (but I lack the knowledge to get extract usefull information out of it)

Is there anybody who could help me to resolve this ?
  • Have you tried the troubleshooting in our FAQ Why do I receive a "Failed. Try again?" error message when installing Garmin Express on a PC?

The error could also be a result of an issue with the Microsoft .NET Framework that is installed on the computer. There is some additional troubleshooting in our FAQ What should I do if I encounter a Microsoft .NET Framework error while installing or using a Garmin application? for that.

If Garmin Express still fails to install, contact Product Support by phone for further assistance.

Lisa
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the reply.

I looked to the FAQ's and neither for the map-update-issue nor for the garmin-express-update-problem it gives me a clue.
    > I'm the only user of the PC - so also the admin
    > no company or other customized policies are in place
    > I do have .net framework 4.5 available (basecamp also runs without any issue)

I would like to call product support, but they are only available on weekdays from 9 till noon - when I'm at work and have no option to access my private computer.
    So I think my if no one on the forum can help me out the only option left is contacting them by mail.

Danny
  • Danny,

It sounds like you may have some leftover registry keys that might be causing some problems. You can also try following the steps in the following article. While I understand it's not exactly what is happening, the steps are good: What should I do if the computer cannot find the .msi file when updating a Garmin Software Application?

You would start on step 1 and follow the rest of the instructions before attempting to install the application again.

Albert
  • Albert,

I did use the utility from the MS site to uninstall the related Garmin programs according to the steps descibed, but still I'm not able to get a fresh installation of Garmin Express up and running...
    Something odd : even after uninstalling Garmin Express using the utility, Garmin Express keeps showing up in the "programs and features" - if I click it there it also seem to try to re-install the application with the same result : failed....

I hoped the loggings which were attached when raising the topic would give someone a clue of what exactly is going on...

Update : although the installation gave a failure indication, I still can run Garmin express - which seems to indicate it never actually had been uninstalled.

Of course my other concern having lost the ability to update the maps is at this moment also even more disturbing : this way I won't be able to download my 'lifetime updates' anymore (remember the application does indicate new map updates are available and let me choose to download them, but then seems to stop all update activities).

Danny
  • DannyM1

If Express is still showing up in programs and features after attempting to uninstall there may be files left over in this directory "C:\ProgramData\Package Cache" from the original installation. Clearing out any Garmin Express related folders/files from here should allow you to remove the entry from programs and features.

I would recommend restarting the computer before trying to do a fresh install on the newest version of Express.

Anthony
  • Download Garmin Express USING IE Explorer, uninstall the current version, choose "Run" from IE browser, not save. After this launch the re-installed Garmin Express and it should work. Works for me. I do not like IE, but this seems to be the only way getting Garmin Express installed correctly. Even if the program worked fine for me, I was not able to fulfill any map updates before I did this. I think it has to do with Microsofts .NET framework. When IE is used for downloading things goes smoother.
  • I eliminated ALL the references to Garmin in my registry and deleted ALL garmin folders on my PC.  Absolutely no change with a fresh install.  Garmin has a truly messed up process.

Update:

I spent more than six hours trying to get garmin express to download two maps. This includes removing all traces of garmin from my registry and computer. Then doing a fresh install of Garmin Express. Still failed. Chat lines are broken. Phone lines are on indefinite hold. The email sent yesterday will take weeks for a response.

So this morning I tried to submit a request for a map refund. The refund will take about as long as the email with a lot less work. But now the Captcha button is busted. Hopefully I'll have more luck getting a refund than getting help desk support.

And now the Captcha is busted! Maybe the Captcha button will come alive later today.

• My GPS worked great till I was told to update on express now it's trash   :-(  Support is no help. Returning for full refund !