This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express is disgustingly SLOW!

People have been complaining about 3 hour downloads for YEARS!!!

Here is the Garmin response:

>>>
I am sorry for the troubles. The map update process takes an average of 3 hrs to complete. Garmin does about 150,000 map updates or activations a month. Individual connection speed issues would not be anything we could really help you with. If there was a file missing from a server then we could reproduce it and have the issue fixed but as long as the file is downloading we know that is not the case. The servers are monitored and configured for optimal bandwidth so anything slowing it download would be outside the server. We are alerted to major outages that would affect 10's of thousands of people and they are resolved within a couple of days. Any number of variables could cause an individual connection to a server to slow down. The best advise would be to contact your service provider and inquire about any restrictions or known issues on their side or try the map update download another time or using a different Internet Service Provider.

Again I am sorry for the troubles.

Curt
<<<

Well that doesn't cut it. Other Internet companies provide FAST EFFICIENT downloads. Take Netflix just to name one. So, Garmin's real problem is that they don't care. It's as simple as that. If they DID care - they'd FIX the problem by hooking up some FAST servers to FAST bandwidth. Don't tell us - it can't be fixed. Just say you don't WANT to fix it. Thank you.
  • While 3 hours may be average my map updates normally complete in under an hour. In any case Express will download in the background if you let it. The analogy with netflix isn't a good one. That's a simple video download. Express first downloads files to your PC, then the maps need to be compiled then sent over a relatively slow USB connection to a GPS.
  • Thank you for your response.

>>>
    While 3 hours may be average my map updates normally complete in under an hour.
    <<<

Unfortunately, your "under an hour" doesn't help those (the majority) with 3 hour downloads.

>>>
    In any case Express will download in the background if you let it.
    <<<

No help. Express hogs CPU resources. It seems to be very poorly written software.

>>>
    The analogy with netflix isn't a good one. That's a simple video download.
    <<<

Netflix successfully and efficiently services MILLIONS of accounts with DATA. What don't you get about that?

Netflix and most other providers obviously care about the speed of their servers and bandwidth. Not Garmin.

>>>
    Express first downloads files to your PC, then the maps need to be compiled then sent over a relatively slow USB connection to a GPS.
    <<<

The Topic is Garmin's disgustingly poor DOWNLOAD speeds... not the USB part which only took 10 minutes on my PC.

If your comment is anything to go by, it seems Garmin won't even acknowledge that it's their problem.

That must be why users have been complaining for YEARS without a fix in sight.

In this day and age there's simply no excuse for such poor service. That's why I find it disgusting.

Garmin's problem is definitely an indifferent "don't care" attitude.

Stonewalling won't make the problem go away.

Incidentally, I have a 150 Mbps Fibre connection - i7 4790K 4Ghz CPU - just in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks.
  • My connection is only 20 megs yet I still get a relatively fast download. Why you don't I can't say, perhaps ask your ISP.
  • Same person working for Garmin by any chance ?

• Not sure what your point is?  If you're suggesting I work for Garmin I don't, but as this thread is 5 years old I can't understand why you're posting in it?