This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incredibly SLOW download and IT IS NOT MY COMPUTER!

So, my wife and I both work from home and we have 500 Mbps internet service.  I started a download this morning and was shocked to see 9.1 MB/s on the download speed and nearly an HOUR to complete a map update.  My computer is working fine on other apps, so I did a speed test as well shown in pic.  I closed all other apps that would affect speed and my wife's computer does not take much bandwidth.  I've never had an issue before and just wanted to share on the forum because I also don't like seeing "it's device owners' fault" every time.  

• ...of course you couldn't have failed to notice the fact that what you do witness is the map transfer stage from your PC to the device - via (admittedly) slow USB2 (?) connection - rather than download of these maps off Garmin servers somewhere to your PC (which has been taking place between 0% - 50% of the overall progress).

I'd say it's quite normal and as expected - I was getting my Oregon updated recently and TopoActive Maps were defintiely taking more than an hour to be pushed to the device.

• amen brother.
    I started last night (3hr estimated).. 10+ hrs later, still not done.
    I'm at 97.4% and only getting 0.9KB/s data transfer.  
    I've got no idea on how the process is supposed to work, but at these speeds (haha, I said "speed")... the process is broken.

How about someone at Garmin do some adulting, concede their system has issues and their processes need improved, instead of trying to gaslight the end user?

• USB 2.0 transfers data at a top speed of 480 megabits per second.  Again, I've used this exact same method in the past and used the exact same USB port, and never had a time being shown like this.  Just sharing the information.  My past map updates have never exceeded 10 minutes (probably like 5 minutes)

• 480 Mbit/s is a theoretical value and does include hefty (10-20%) overheads, it usually translates onto 30-40 MB/s, or slower - the latter is usually the case with solid memory devices. In my case (Oregon 750t) I think I might have seen ~9MB/s as well.

Is this really a problem? We're talking about 10-13GB of data which needs to be shifted, right...?

Also, for what it's worth: I do regular monthly backups and every now and then my USB3 drives when plugged onto USB3 sockets in my PC are recognised as USB2 ones... So instead of 150MB/s I'm getting more like 40MB/s. What I then usually do is that I simply stop backup, remove the device, unplug it and re-plug again. Works as a treat.

Did you try it yourself?

• I don't wish to argue further and will no longer respond.  My final reply and please just stop:  I am actually connected via a USB 3.0, I have done MANY map updates and today was amazingly slow, so I did a forum search and saw this is a frequent complaint.  I decided to include the information that I provided hoping not to be ridiculed with things like: "..of course you couldn't have failed to notice the fact that what you do witness is the map transfer stage from your PC to the device - via (admittedly) slow USB2 (?) connection -" and "Did you try it yourself?"  I don't know what intent you have but your responses do not "read" as a nice person trying to help.   Again, I will no longer reply.

• As you appear not to wish for further help I'll close this post.  has tried to point out the issues but you insult him by suggesting he's not a 'nice person' whereas his responses here have helped many in the past.