This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express Windows (Still) causes prompt to install .Net Framework 3.5 (which isn't required?)

Garmin Express 7.20.3.0 new install on Windows 11 Pro 23H2 causes windows to prompt the user to install .Net Framework v3.5

This prompt seems to be coming from Windows itself as it says something like 'A program you are installing needs .Net Framework v3.5, install it ?' rather than a prompt directly from the Garmin Installer.

Clearly the installer has some dependencies, perhaps unused references to this old framework that are not actually used, which Windows sees and tries to accommodate. This should really be fixed as the .net 3.5 feature install is not exactly a quick process. 

I'm aware that Garmin Express states it requires .Net Framework 4.7 and not 3.5. The problem is that something about this installer is still referencing .Net Framework v3.5 and it probably shouldn't be.

This was previously discussed in this (locked) thread. 

• I didn't get that prompt and don't have v3.5 installed so not sure this is anything to do with Express

• The behaviour has be described in the previous linked thread, the prompt to install 3.5 directly correlates to installing Gamin Express.

• I’m quoting from the Microsoft Developers Blog at .NET verrsions.  For whatever reason, that content states the best to install is the latest and 3.5 SP!.  So why not install 3.5 SP! And retest.

“You need to install the .NET Framework to run many apps on Windows. The best versions to install are the latest one and the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Those two versions should run nearly all apps.”

As to my own machine, I have several versions as indicated below.  But I see little if any reason to remove the older versions and possibly create an issue.

• Same here too, with Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Build 22631.3447 and Garmin Express Update to 7.20.3.0

The Garmin installer even finishes before .NET 3.5 has even downloaded inside it's own installer wizard.

@JohnFromPA
    Microsoft references .NET 3.5 as a Version to install precisely because of old and out to date apps still using it and not upgrading their code to newer versions of the framework. Please, to Garmin as a company, take this seriously and make sure you don't keep being one of them.

• Just install the damn thing and be done with it....