This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express installs an unwanted task to run daily in Windows

I believe Garmin Express now schedules a daily task in the Windows OS task schedule to run ExpressSelfUpdater.exe every day with highest privilege. As far as I know, this is done without user consent or notification. I trust Garmin and doubt the program does anything nefarious. But I object to the hidden intrusion anyway.

The insertion contributes to task clutter making it harder to spot other possible threats. Also, I prefer to know if software I install has the ability to execute itself without my knowledge, even when it's from reputable companies. Now, if I want to keep my task schedule minimized for simplicity and security, I must go into Task Scheduler after each Garmin Express update to remove the unwanted task. While I trust Garmin's integrity, I have less faith in its code-writing. Garmin Express is a terrible storage hog, considering the simple tasks it performs.

I also think it's slightly deceptive of Garmin. For years, Garmin Express reset an option to start at OS startup each time Garmin Express updated. Garmin dropped that intrusive policy, possibly as a result of customer complaints. Now, it's doing something similar more covertly. And I don't see a legitimate purpose since Garmin Express still checks for updates when the user opens it.

I expect Garmin dismisses objections this because many other companies do the same thing and because what I'm calling an intrusion is convenient for many customers who want the Garmin software to run automatically in background and that notifying them would be an unnecessary burden. That's probably true. I am just not one of those customers.

• I agree, and IMO you can safely remove or disable that task in Task Scheduler.  The task runs daily at 2:00 AM or when you turn on your PC anytime after 2:00 AM.  When those tasks run they write a small file at C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Logs\SelfUpdater.  I have also found that the files can be removed, not that they are large.  GE is not particularly good at cleaning up after itself.

• I have log files in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Logs\SelfUpdater whose timestamps correspond with login times.  This indicates a startup event and not one triggered by Task Scheduler.  I can't find it though.  Does anyone know how to identify and kill this SelfUpdater event?

• Hi, Peobody.  Your question doesn't say if you looked in the Task Scheduler.  If it's there, you can check by going opening Task Scheduler from the start menu.  This thread is about the task Garmin Express inserted in my Windows Task Schedule when Express updated.  That task was set to run daily at 2 a.m. on my computer.  I deleted it before checking to see if fallback was configured to run at the next startup.

• Never mind.  I found it in the Task Scheduler after running it as admin.  I am as annoyed at Garmin as @jlg2 is about this.  I expect that it well return on next upgrade no matter what we do kill it now.

• I did a restart.  The GarminUpdaterTask did not return to Task Manager so that is a good thing.  I hope to remember to check for this task after next Garmin Express update.