This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Express 7.18.0.0 on Windows 7 Professional

Just installed 7.18.0.0 and it crashes on startup. I have .NET 4.8 installed. I have chatted with tech support, and so far the only advice I have been given is to follow the suggestions on the website (permissions, old config, etc.). Has anyone successfully installed this on Win 7 Pro? Can anyone point me to an older version that works?

• Go to Task Manger or its equivalent in Windows 7 and then do the following, which is for Windows 10.  Good luck!

In the search field type in Task Manager

Select "run as administrator".

Select the Startup tab

Look for anything related to Garmin; right click on what you find, then select Disable.

Close out of Task Manager, reboot and retest Garmin Express.

• Am I looking in the wrong place? When I launch Task Manager, the tabs are: Applications, Processes, Services, Performance, Networking and Users.

• I haven’t used Windows 7 in about 15 years.  Try the content at Windows 7 startup programs

• Ah. The Startup folder has nothing showing related to Express.

• A few years ago, people had issues with the GE / Windows 7 combo.  I remember that people got some resolution by running the Microsoft .NET repair tool and reinstallting the Visual redistributable package.  The .NET repair tools is at .NET Repair Tool.  The Vusual C Redistributale is at Visual C.  Rebot after checking the two components and then retest.

• Same here! Keeps crashing no matter what! Tried unistalling & reinstalling just to get the same frustrating message all the time!

• Me too. Keeps crashing. Makes no difference reinstalling. Current version is corrupted.

• Probably NOT the version itself but the Windows7 compatibility!

Already installed exact same update to my Windows11 netbook. Express worked just fine there!

Nothing else to do here but wait 4 Garmin support team to fix the problem I guess.

• I have the same start up problem with V7.18.0.0

I have reverted to V7.17.3.0 achieved as follows:

Uninstall Garmin Express, using program uninstall in windows control panel.

In explorer find folder OS (?C:?) > ProgramData > GARMIN > CoreService > Downloads > Application > 

Delete the 7.18.0.0 sub folder, but un select "delete all garmin express files" unless you really want to register your devices again. (this may not be essential, but bin the usleess crap anyway).

Go into 7.17.3.0 subfolder and drill down  in explorer until you find the installer.exe file, double click to re install the older version

Whilst your in the  "Garmin Downloads"folder review all paths and see which old versions of stuff you no longer want - some old maps are the really big files and can clear a significant amount of disc space...

• Does “same startup problem” also include using Windows 7 Pro as an OS?