This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express 7.16.0.0 Unable to install City Navigator North America 2024.10 to Computer

Was able to use Garmin Express 7.16.0.0 on Windows 10 to install City Navigator North America 2024.10 to a Garmin Nuvi. However when attempting use the Garmin Express > Install to Computer option the City Navigator North America 2024.10 installation fails with the message; "There was an error installing the update."

Have deleted the downloaded map files and tried to install to PC again. Once again it failed to install. It appears the installer files used to install City Navigator North America 2024.10 to a computer are not being downloaded. Only see a single file, Disk1.cab (49 MB), possibly used for PC installation that has been downloaded to the "C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\CoreService\Downloads\Map\Map_Map.NA.2024.10\RMU\NA\2024_10\56810671-8e8b-4f10-b768-ae70fc908410\IMG" folder location.

Is this issue a problem with Garmin Express or a problem with the maps on Garmin's end not having the Windows installer files?

• There are some indications that the installing to computer option being enabled may be related.  So try disabling the option and attempt another download.

I personally don't have the option enabled and haven't had any problems doing a nuvi 265WT and a nuvi 2689.  I'm using GE 7.16.0.0. 

• There doesn't appear to be a way to change the option after downloading the maps. I've even deleted the downloaded "Map_Map.NA.2024.10" folder from "C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\CoreService\Downloads\Map" location. Closed the Garmin Express Program. Reopened Garmin Express; but there is nothing to deselect or select from other than what the attached image of Garmin Express below shows. I am able to install the NA.2024.10 maps to the Nuvi. The issue lies with being unable to install the NA.2024.10 maps to the Windows 10 computer for use in Basecamp. Changing the map install path results in the same error seconds after clicking the Install to Computer button.

• I have found that when Garmin Express says it failed to install map to computer map is installed just that Garmin Express didn't install the unlock code so I just click under map options install to computer again and unlock code usually gets installed then. I have done that on 2nd try even with gps not connected to computer.

• In my case no PC installable maps were downloaded by Garmin Express so it wasn't installed to the PC. Only the previous maps are showing as installed .(C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\City_Navigator_North_America_NT_2023_20.gmap)

No matter how many times I select Install Maps to Computer, Garmin Express doesn't download the PC installable maps and install them. Just one single file is downloaded and that's it:

C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\CoreService\Downloads\Map\Map_Map.NA.2024.10\RMU\NA\2024_10\56810671-8e8b-4f10-b768-ae70fc908410\IMG\Disk1.cab

Edit: Have updated to Garmin Express 7.16.1.0, issue remains. No PC map installer files are downloaded other than the Disk1.cab file.

• I called Garmin support and they told me their system is not installing map to computer just the unit. She told me everyone will get an email when problem is fixed on their system.

• Latest Express update has resolved this

• I think locking the previous thread was a bit premature.  For the first time in many years I cannot download

CNNA 2024.10.  With GE 7.16.1.0 I get offered the update and after about 2Mb transferred I get the same

"There was an error installing the update".

Windows 11, fully updated. Montana 600.

I think the issue is not actually resolved for everyone.

• Yes the previous thread should not have been locked. Latest Garmin Express update 7.16.1.0 did not correct the installing maps to computer. 

• Just because the release notes say it is fixed doesn't mean it is. No map is installed at all on computer. I even stated in previous thread that Garmin Support knows it is not installing map to computer.

• As previously indicated the issue IS NOT fixed in Garmin Express 7.16.1.0 for Windows. Garmin Express 7.16.1.0 still fails to download the map installer files, instead just a single file; Disk1.cab is downloaded then Garmin Express indicates an error.