This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express not recognizing watches

I have both a Vivoactive 3 Music and a Fenix 7 Solar.  I am unable to recognize either watch with Garmin Express.  I have tried on two different computers and with two different cable and different USB ports, all with the same negative result.  Garmin Express works fine with different Edge devices.  Both computers repeatedly attempt to connect to the blue-tooth watches with no success.

In the past, these same computers connected with minimal problems.  Now, nothing!  Anybody have any suggestions?  If I could upload music to these watches without having to use Express (using Garmin Connect on my phone) I wouldn't need the computer link, but this is not doable.

• If you are on Garmin Express 7.16.1.0 or 17.16.2.0 they don't work, downgrade back to 17.5.0.0

• Tried using earlier versions of Express with the same results.  I don't think the problem is with Express.  When the watch is connected to the computer, the contents of the watch should be available vis Windows File Explorer.  Although the watch shows up, the files on the watch are not accessible.  This occurred with the two different watches on two different computers.  I loaded Express on a third computer (Windows 11) that had never seen Express with the same result.

What is it about the two watches that don't like USB connections to Windows computers.  Edge devices work fine with the couputers, both through Express and File Explorer.

• What's the USB-Mode in your watches settings?

Try MTP (media transfer protocol).

It might be you just use an setting like "charging only".

• That didn't work either.  It defaults to MTP.  What did work is the following procedure from the a Garmin Support Center article:

Forcing a Garmin to Mount as a Drive

1. Disconnect the Garmin from the computer and ensure the Garmin is powered off.
    2. Press and hold Start/Stop.
      NOTE: Press and hold GPS if you have an Instinct.
    3. Plug the Garmin into the computer.
    4. Wait until the Garmin is recognized by the computer, it may take up to 45 seconds for the device to be recognized as a drive.
      • If prompted, install USB device drivers.
    5. Release Start/Stop.
      NOTE: Release GPS if you have an Instinct.

This works every time, but I have to follow this procedure every time I want to connect the watch to either Garmin Express or the Windows File Explorer.