This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express installation prompts for installing .NET Framework 3.5, but does not need it

Garmin Express installer prompts for adding .NET Framework 3.5 through the "Turn Windows Features on or off" / "Fondue.exe" prompt, also with the latest v7.15.2.0 version.

I'm currently running Windows 10 22H2, 19045.2130, x64.

Current behavior also makes it so that installing and upgrading Garmin Express using Winget (Windows package manager) fails

• Unless you already have this dependency enabled I guess, haven't tested that.

I do not want to enable such an old framework, especially when it seems that Garmin Express runs just fine without it, so please stop prompting for this in the installer.

Edit: As described further down in the thread, this happens on a fresh install of Windows 11 22H2 22621 too.

• One of the things you can do to check the .NET Framework versions on your machine is to run an elevated command prompt with the command reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP" /s.  This will report all installed versions, and there might be a considerable number (don't delete any).  Search the list for the latest and make sure it meets the criteria of Garmin Express.  A search seems to indicate that .NET Framework 4.7.2 is needed.   Microsoft also has a .NET Repair Tool that might be worth running.  It can be found at www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

• I have no problems with .NET Framework other than with Garmin Express. I've done nothing but let Windows Update do it's job after I cleaned install this Windows 10, one-two years ago.

This happens on Windows 11 too, 22261.

Seems to me Garmin should bump their dependency checks. Slight smile

• Tried to recreate the problem on a clean Hyper-V VM installation of Windows 11 Pro 22H2 22621, updated with Windows Update to 22621.755.

Garmin Express installer v7.15.2.0 prompts for .NET Framework 3.5 here too.

Garmin Express also installs an old version of VCRedist v14 (2015-2019), v14.23.27820.

The latest VCRedist versions are available here:

Edit: Same behavior with a clean install of Windows 10 22H2 19045, updated to 19045.2130.

• Even though .NET is installed, is it enabled to run?  The attached graphic shows what is enabled om my Win 10 machine.   Note that if you make changes, you likely have to reboot for them to take effect. 

• The problem I'm trying to highlight is that:

• .NET Framework 3.5 is old and should not be used anymore.
    • Garmin says Garmin Express needs .NET Framework 4.7.2, not 3.5
    • Garmin Express installation prompts for enabling .NET Framework 3.5, but will run just fine even if you don't enable it.
      • So is .NET Framework 3.5 even needed? If no, why prompt for it?
  • I can't speak as to why .NET Framework 3.5 may be needed by Garmin Express and I'm not about to uninstall it from my PC to do a test.  My Win 10 machine is running the exact version you are running and from all appearances .NET 3.5 is needed by something.  Microsoft does not recommend uninstalling old versions of .NET, but having said that there is evidence that if you do and a specific app needs a specific .NET version, the user will be prompted.  So apparently since you are being prompted, some need perhaps does exist.  If you go to the area that turns Windows features ON/OFF is 3.5 (assuming it exists) enabled?