This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is there a known issue with Garmin Express requestcache.db being over 600GB

Friend only has a Garmin watch that they sync and update via the Garmin Express program (no GPS navigation device).

As you can see in the image the .db file that Garmin Express made is using over 600GB of storage (which is more than 50% of the drive and it seems to be still growing).  The file was created by Garmin Express mid July 2021 when they got the watch.  

Both Garmin Express and Windows are fully updated.

Can the .db be safely deleted or what is it for?

• Check the thread at https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=118664.0 and take note especially of reply #10.  The reply numbers are at the left of the name of the poster.  That individual had some GE issues and deleted the file and it resolved his issues.  I can tell you that a file by that name exists on my laptop but it is 63KB in size.  That file will probably exceed your allowance for the Recycle Bin so you might want to make a copy on some external media, then delete it.  Of course if it goes to your Recycle Bin, it doesn't really free up storage space until you remove it from the Recycle Bin.  

• Don't think it is a firewall issue as Garmin Express finds updates for the watch and they get applied to the watch, and Garmin Express opens fine.

Still wonder if it is a Garmin Express bug as it is creating that file and using it when Garmin Express is open.  Also that forums last post is months before the .db file was created.

• My point was not to infer that it was a firewall issue but to make you aware that one individual blew that particular file away without any major consequences.  Garmin Express is notorious for not cleaning up after itself, even when it operates and behaves properly, and this may just be another one of those instances.

• Then it could also be a security issue as Garmin Express will at some point will be responsible for blocking Security updates from Microsoft from being installed on the machine

• I doubt it is a security issue.  Indications from another forum (POI Factory) are that this file size, when GE operates normally/properly is less than 100 KB.  An alternative to what I suggested would be to change the “db” extension to “xx” and leave it in the folder.  Then check the bahvior of Garmin Express.  If like many programs GE really needs the file, you will get some for of an error message, or GE will create a new file.  If it creates a new file offload the olf file onto some other media and watch the GE behavior for several days.

• Security issue when it blocks the installing of any security update on a machine.  If you can delete it then It creating a new one and it is going to be the same issue with the massive file size.

• I think you are totally wrong on this, why would there be a security issue from a huge GE file!  The typical file size for that file, as I stated, and based on numerous individuals, is less than 100K.  If it is deleted and recreates itself, then there is likely an issue with the specific Garmin Express installation, not Garmin Express in general.

• Still a security bug it is blocking security updates and that is from little to no usage of the app.  The file size is bigger than the storage of most peoples computers.

• What exactly are you reffering to as a security update?  A Windows update?  Garmin Express itself may do security updates, but they don;t present themselves as such.  It would be imbedded into the coding of n update.

Windows security updates do require a considerable amount of space, and presents an error if insufficient space exists. 

• Any update, you can't install updates if there is no free space on the drive.  Windows Updates some of them do require more space (some are a few GB in size) and even if it shows an error that is still a security risk for end users.