This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express not offering CN Europe 2022.20 FULL map regardless of SD card inside

Hello all,

I hope someone can help. I even have a case with Garmin Support opened but unfortunately there is no solution yet.

I seem to have two problems in parallel, and I will try to keep the explanation short.

1). In my latest attempt to update the map on my Drive 61 is detected that CN Europe NTU 2022.20 is avalable. But if continuing to start the installation it asks me to select specific region only. And on another note, the install map to PC option seems gone too. In one of the attempts I installed the Western Europe region hoping that later it will allow me to change to FULL using the Change Map option. But it does not.

I have tried with both Toshiba 32GB SD card (formatted as FAT32 of course), and with Samsung 16GB card. Still the same.

I always had Europe full map since buying the device in 2017. And I want that back.

In one of my desperate attempts I even installed Basecamp (that I do not use) hoping it can at least confirm the SD card is OK or allow me "sort of manual" installation of maps of my choice (by downloading to PC first). In Basecamp it lists the device as Garmin Drive 61 + SD card. So it looks recognized and usable.

2). What is also strange is that right now it is also offering me to install America maps. Something I have never asked for, and have no need of. So even if my Garmin product is entitled, I never asked (or bought) America maps, and I never had them offered in Express previously.

In desperation and after agreed with Garmin Support I even deleted the gmapprom three files from the .System in internal memory, reinstalled Express from scratch and tried again. No difference, CN Europe is detected, but the full map is not offered for installation.

I read on other forums that Sandisk cards are most compatible but before spending money on new SD card that I do not need, I would like to clarify for sure if it is card issue, and not Express/Garmin issue. Because the America thing confuses the hell out of me... At one point it was offering only America to me, without having Europe installed at all. Like it "detects" me from another region in some Garmin/Express DB.

At times like this I miss the "old times" where you could simply download and copy the map files yourself. I don't need this automated Express "no control" process. Just give me the IMG and I will copy it myself. Slight smile

Express seems to have gone mad on me offering me the America instead of Europe. And when I get it to say Europe, I can never get the full map that I need.

At one point I did factory reset too, I have tried Express 7.4 and also 7.10 (I think those were the versions). I tried removing gmapprom manually and can try it again if it helps.

Anyone that thinks can help? It would be appreciated a lot. Thanks in advance.

• I did some screenshots from the latest Express status. The main screen seems to say I have CN Europe, and an update detected. But if I go to Install, here is what happens:

From the main screen, the Map Option seem to say Europe 2022.20 too, but on change map button, it does this:

And from the main screen the Map Details do say Western Europe (not full). And with Change Map button it seems possible to go to another European region, but not the full:

Does anyone have a clue??? I sure don't after about a week of trying to find out what is going on... Disappointed

• Looks like an account issue that only they can resolve. Have you given Product support that information?

• Yes. I did mention the weird America thing and their reply was along the lines that "my product supports America too, don't worry about it". I didn't give it too much thought, but now thinking about it it makes no sense at all. The device was bought in Spain and used only in Europe. And it came with full Europe map, not America or whatever.

In any case, they never said they could or that they would reset anything on their end. I even told them I use the device in very basic way and I am happy to reset as if new from factory if that helps to get Full Coverage Europe map again (which seems to be called City Navigator Europe now). That is another thing confusing me. Was the map name changed starting with 2022.10/20? Because the previous I had, had title Full Coverage Europe.

• From the screenshots, this is a Travel Edition Drive 61.  Travel Edition devices do not have the ability to install maps to the computer by design.  The purpose of the Travel Edition units is to install other regions without the need to purchase the maps like for North America, Australia/New Zealand, etc. 

At this point you should confirm with your Product Support contact if this is in fact a Travel Edition unit.  That will help to determine next steps.

• This would be very strange because I remember previously having the option to install to Computer too (although I never did use it). So if now it is not supported then it could be only after Garmin changed something on their end.

I will try to confirm the device edition although I have to say from the seen so far the support in Spain is not very efficient. So everything takes longer and often you get "generic" replies of things I had already tried or that are easily found in the public support pages. If I have opened a case with support that means the usual process is not working for me. I fee quite disappointed when they reply with the standard basic steps how to use Express to update maps. Like that is not what I had already tried. Disappointed

• Hello all,

I just heard back from Garmin Spain and supposedly they say they can't reset anything on their end (which honestly is weird because if they see a device as registered that means there surely is something on their end). The only thing they suggest is the factory reset by doing "Clear all user data". But I already did that about 10 days ago and even though it brought some improvements, it didn't fix things 100%.

I know this official forum might not be the correct place to ask this, but are there any files I can delete/remove/rename on the device to make it think it was "bought today"?? Garmin Spain has already confirmed the steps to delete gmapprom.* to get rid of the internal map and try to start fresh.

But seeing there are many other files in there, is there anything else that could be removed to help the device start from fresh? What about the SQLite and JCV folders, etc? I don't have anything important on it, I am happy to return it to like 4 years ago. Slight smile

But I don't think "Clear all user data" does that. For example it doesn't even delete the map, and I actually want to get rid of the current partial map.

Is the only thing I could do to delete gmapprom.* and do a factory reset???

Thanks in advance again for any input.

• Have you found which edition it is yet?

As the Garmin representative stated you will need to determine which edition you have before anyone can determine the best way forward.

• Is that something I can detect myself? Going through Garmin Spain everything is so slow...

And like I said, I clearly remember having the option to put map on Computer for years after buying it, so I don't think it is Travellers Ed. Otherwise I would have never had that option if I understand correctly.

• When I go into the device in the About menu it says:

Model: Garmin Drive 61

No mention of Travellers Ed.

Also opening the Garmin Spain support page and entering the serial number gives this:

On the back of the device it only says: Garmin Drive 61 LMT-S.

All in all, I don't think this is Travellers. If anyone knows otherwise I am all ears. Slight smile

• I searched Google for 'garmin drive 61 travel edition' and the results all show Garmin DriveSmart 61 LMT-S or Garmin Drive 61 LMT-S.

The product pages for the Garmin Drive 61 LMT-S on the Garmin UK website says in the overview section:

• Includes map updates and comes preloaded with full Europe. Plus, you’ll have access to free map downloads via Garmin Express for North America, South America, Australia and New Zealand, South Africa, the Middle East and North Africa. microSDTm card required (sold separately)

This would suggest the device you have is entitled to the additional maps.

The support section for the Garmin Drive 61 LMT-S on the Garmin UK website have an entry for
    'Updating Automotive Maps and Software with Garmin Express' which has screen shots that look very similar to those you posted.