This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cannot update Nuvi 255W with Express 7.8.1.0

I updated a few days ago to Garmin Express 7.8.1.0.  The new version advises that the latest map update is large and requires an SD card.  It prompts to search for a card and fails to find it.  I've had an 8GB card in my Nuvi 255W for some years which has always worked.  The previous Express version used the card without prompting or searching for it, that's new in the 7.8.1.0 version.  Windows 7 sees both the card and the 255W's internal storage.  The card has files on it dated 4/2/2021 (date of last update).  The card has 3.91 GB free space.  I've updated maps on this 255W with this computer numerous times and now cannot with the Express 7.8.1.0 version.  I tried another computer, same problem.  How to fix it??

• I'd revert to the earlier Express version.

• Thanks for the suggestion.  I uninstalled Express.  Installed 6.10.0.0, which I had previously downloaded and saved for installation.  It prompted upon starting to update to 7.4.1.0 for "crucial updates," which I recall is what happened immediately before the last successful map update on 4/2/2021.  I confirm that update, which installs.  It then advises the 7.8.1.0 is available, which I cancel.

7.4.1.0 finds the latest map update (2022.20), however it also advises (same as the newest 7.8.1.0 Express did) that "The latest version of these maps have so much new information that we're not going to be able to fit it all on your device's internal memory" with option to Use a Memory Card or Choose a Region.

Select Use a Memory Card ... Express searches and fails to find the card, refuses to install the map update.

Back to the Express Home screen, select the Nuvi 255W, Tools & Content, scroll to the bottom, it says device storage is 12% used with 1.79 GB available, which does not include the SD card.  Express is not seeing the card.

Windows sees the SD card, formatted as FAT32.  7.39 GB capacity (of 8 GB size).  3.47 GB used space.  A folder Garmin dated 4/18/2015 which presumably is when I put the SD card into use and it had been working with Express until now.  Four files dated 4/2/2021 (date of the previous successful map update) in the Garmin folder on the card.  3.91 GB free space on the card.

Now what?  Express isn't saying the SD card has insufficient room, it's not detecting the card at all.  The map data already on the card will be erased if I reformat it, which will effectively make my device unusuable since I'll have no way to put a working map back onto it ... maps haven't fit into onboard storage on my 255W since 2015 when I added the SD card.

• I bought a new SD card.  16 GB.  4 GB to 32 GB cards are said to be usable in the 255W.  Windows Explorer sees the new 16 GB card in the 255W, with full available space on it.  The map update advises 3 GB space is needed.  Garmin Express 7.4.1.0 fails to see the card.  It prompted to update to Express 7.9 but I didn't do that.  7.8.1.0 failed to see the card, is there a fix in 7.9 for that problem??

• I updated to Express 7.9.0.0 a few days ago.  It failed to detect the SD card.

Today I in preparation for telephoning Garmin support,  rebooted my computer, connected my Nuvi 255W, opened Garmin Express, and attempted to run the map update yet again to confirm again that it fails.  Express prompted for an update to version 7.9.1.0 which has "critical" fixes.  I did that.  I tried the map update yet again (I've lost count of how many times I've tried) after the update to Express 7.9.1.0 and NOW it's working to install the map update.

Thanks Garmin.  Anyone need a new, unused Sandisk Extreme HC I, 16GB, 90 MB/s, Class 10 SD card?