This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I can't update the Garmin Express program, therefore, I can't update my car Navigation system.

Former Member
Former Member

It tells me there is an update available, but I need to update Express first and then tells me it can't update it on my computer - try again....and again.....

• This is a consistent problem with Express throughout its history. I don't have this problem with any other software. Usually a reboot works, But seriously, Garmin, you have had reports about this for years and even have a help page dedicated to overcoming the problem. Doesn't that suggest you need to find out what's happening and fix it? Perhaps a different install tool?

• Case in point, to do the latest "upgrade" to 7.8.1.0, I had to use Revo Uninstaller to remove 7.7 as the Garmin uninstaller failed. Pretty poor that a company's own installer cannot remove its own product.

• Never had an issue with Express either updating or uninstalling it. Never needed a third party installer either. That's using it since it was introduced. Hardly a consistent problem, but perhaps some systems have issues.

• SUSSAMB, seriously why do you come onto this forum?

You seem to be a knowledgeable person that understands the inner workings of Garmin products.  Good for you.  I can see you have commented here for quite some time.  Why not share some of your knowledge?

Your comments about everything working for you is of little value to others on this forum.  Obviously the software does work for most people.  Garmin would not be in business if it didn't.

I also realize that some people come onto this type of forum to complain about things they either haven't tried to fix themselves or have not reached out Garmin support.  That's the easy route but it can also be the lazy route.

HOWEVER there are people here that are truly frustrated with issues that are common to many and are simply looking for help.

I have reached out to Garmin for assistance but I know that Garmin can't solve everyone's problem nor can they delve into the particular details of each customers situation.  They don't have the resources to be everyone's IT, network and general computer support team.  That is where this forum comes in.

I know you comment about people that have not reached out to Garmin support, but I will comment on your smug and unhelpful comments.  What's the point of commenting if only to tell people it works for you?

If you truly want to help, please ask reasonable questions, give knowledgeable direction, provide realistic suggestions, and BE HELPFUL.

Otherwise I assume you are just here to pride yourself in your perfectly working Garmin products and take joy in the frustrations of others.  That's just sad.

• You don't have to go far in the forums to see that the installation of Express updates is a recurring issue for many people. So to say that you have never had a problem is not at all helpful. Compare with my post where (a) it does raise the number of people reporting which you would think, if it were a reputable company, would mean that Garmin takes more notice, (b) I mentioned how I had overcome a specific issue and that may be helpful to others, and (c) I made a suggestion to Garmin about what they could do.

• Hi,

I've been dealing with this installation/uninstallation/upgrade problem ever since 7.7.0.0 came around. Garmin just sent me to standard troubleshooting procedure (remove everything manually etc.; once I went through Registry and removed everything, and I mean everything, with Garmin string in it) even when I told them I already did that to no avail. They didn't seem particularly interested in logs.

(Funnily enough, it is my desktop that is showing this, everything runs smoothly on my laptop with the same cable etc.).

Well, nevertheless... This Microsot utility does the trick for me. I start with uninstalling Garmin Express using this tool - Windows's Program and Features still show it as installed afterwards, but nevermind - and continue with installing GE from the latest installation file.

Hope it helps.

It is still huge PITA to have to undergo this every single time you want to update, but at least it works.

If there was someone from Garmin interested in logs from failed uninstallation/update/installation, just give me a shout and I'll be happy to send them over.

Cheers