This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to update, uninstall or install Garmin Express on Windows

I am having problems updating Garmin Express on my Windows machine (Windows 10 21H1) with the message "Install failed. Garmin Express could not be installed on this computer. Try installing again." The same error message appears when trying to uninstall Garmin Express or trying to install it via GarminExpress.exe from the Garmin website. The version installed is GE 7.4.0.0.

I have already tried some suggested solutions that I found in this forum:

• Run as administrator
  • Fix .net framework
  • Install after reboot
  • Install using Internet Explorer
  • Disabling firewall
  • Stopping msiExec.exe
  • Runing the installtion with Garmin watch connected and disconnected

None of the solutions brought a change. This is very annoying.

• I also can not update or uninstall Garmin Express on Windows 10 21H1. Currently running GE v. 7.7.1.0

• Hi,

I've been dealing with this installation/uninstallation/upgrade problem ever since 7.7.0.0 came around. Garmin just sent me to standard troubleshooting procedure (remove everything manually etc.; once I went through Registry and removed everything, and I mean everything, with Garmin string in it) even when I told them I already did that to no avail. They didn't seem particularly interested in logs.

(Funnily enough, it is my desktop that is showing this, everything runs smoothly on my laptop with the same cable etc.).

Well, nevertheless... This Microsot utility does the trick for me. I start with uninstalling Garmin Express using this tool - Windows's Program and Features still show it as installed afterwards, but nevermind - and continue with installing GE from the latest installation file.

Hope it helps.

It is still huge PITA to have to undergo this every single time you want to update, but at least it works.

If there was someone from Garmin interested in logs from failed uninstallation/update/installation, just give me a shout and I'll be happy to send them over.

Cheers

• Hi,

thanks a lot for your solution. I was also able to uninstall and then install GE this way. I will have the Microsoft utility handy for the next update. Cumbersome and just annoying, but at least usable.

• I am glad it works.