This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SLOW map downloads - what IS the solution?

Yes, I know there are multiple messages on this subject.  Yes, I know I will be told "most people don't have a problem" and to contact my ISP.  Nonetheless, there ARE issues with Garmin map downloads and clearly, many people DO have an issue.  I have put up with it for years (multiple ISPs).  It's a pain, especially with multiple Garmin devices and PC's.

I have a fibre connection with my ISP.  1GB up/down speeds (about 800Mb/s confirmed on my PC).  Unlimited internet data.  My ISP does NOT throttle downloads.

I use direct wired connections to my computers (no WiFi).

I only have this issue with Garmin.  Yes, they are probably the largest files to download, but other large files, from other suppliers, transfer very fast.  And no, I'm not talking about buffered streaming services such as Netflix, YouTube or others that only really run at a few Mb/s.

When I first start the download on my Windows 10 computer, things move along quite well (20-30Mb/s) but then they slowly dwindles down to 400kb/s and finally it just times-out (ya, it sure looks like its being throttled, but where?).

I then tried my older Windows 7 laptop and the download was successful.  Although it did take a while (as expected), speeds were reasonable (consistent ~8Mb/s +).

I tried my Win10 computer with the same painfully slow response as noted above.  (even just downloading to the PC, not to the Garmin device).

I'm using Garmin Express 7.7.1.0

So, if the issue is NOT Garmin, and it is NOT my ISP, what is the issue?

Is there some incompatibility with Windows 10?  Firewall?  MS Defender?

This IS an issue for many users.  There must be better guidance.

Has anyone actually SOLVED this puzzle?

• Aug 22, 2021 update

- after my last bash, I uninstalled GE from my computer, removed any remaining Garmin folders, and used CCleaner to remove any rogue files
    - once again I attempted to download GE and as in the past, the first attempt failed, the second attempt was successful
    - I installed & launched GE and it was curious that GE was already aware that I had a DA51 (the DA51 was NOT connected and see above comments re un-installation)
    - as usual, it reported my DA51 was "up to date"
    - clicked on "Map Details" and then "Map Options" then "Install to Computer"
    - once again after a short period (5 seconds) an error message appeared "There was an error installing the update" and no further information
    - I uninstalled GE and cleaned any remaining files and folders off this computer (again)
    THEN
    - I decided to start fresh with my Acer laptop (Windows 10)
    - this computer had a direct connection (on a 100Mb/s switch)  WiFi OFF
    - I confirmed there were no Garmin files on this computer (and never has been)
    - I started Windows Resource Manager to monitor Ethernet traffic
    - I went to the Garmin website to download GE
    - the file successfully downloaded the first time (interesting - see above)
    - I installed GE (this ran fairly quick at about 30 seconds)
    - GE did not display any devices (as expected)
    - I connected my DA51
    - after 3 minutes GE reported "a new device found"
    - I added the DA51
    - I stepped through the menu (I did not register, did not permit data to go to Garmin)
    - GE reported "You're up to date!"  software version 6.20
    - I confirmed the folders in "C:\ProgramData\Garmin" were present
    - I clicked on "Map Details" and then "Map Options" and selected "Install to Computer"
    - the download ran successfully with an average sustained data rate of about 80Mb/s (which was expected on a 100Mb/s port)
    - after 9 minutes (at the 50% mark) the download ended
    - Basecamp, MapInstall and WebUpdater are all installed and working!
    - I removed the DA51

So, if I assume there is absolutely nothing wrong on the Garmin end, nor my ISP, or my home network configuration, there seems to be something stuck in my desktop computer that is giving me grief.

At this stage, I still can't determine what the problem is.  It seems I am also, at the moment, farther behind as I can't install any maps on my desktop.

I am open to suggestions (serious & reasonable)

BTW - Garmin Support has reached out to me but their questions (and my answers) are the same as previously asked and answered

• My suggestion would be to give up on Garmin maps and use OpenStreetMap maps instead. They get updated more frequently and you don't have to go through Garmin infrastructure to obtain them. The maps from Garmin are based on OpenStreetMap data. You can either D/L the maps as EXE files, for installation into Basecamp and from there to your Garmin unit, or you can D/L the IMG files for direct placement onto your Garmin.

Maps are available here, for example: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/.

Maps plus instructions here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download.

• Aug 27, 2021

I completely uninstalled GE, used CCleaner to clean up any leftover files, and then used REGEDIT and another third party application to completely remove any and all traces of Garmin from my computer.
    I rebooted my computer.
    I then went to the Garmin web site (again) and attempted to download GE.  The first 3 attempts failed (this was not a good sign).  The fourth attempt was successful (file size was 130,161KB)
    I installed GE (the process took about 2 minutes).  GE displayed a DriveAssist 51 icon!  This was surprising as I had removed all remnants of Garmin (or so I thought).
    I proceeded with the usual: click  on the DA51 icon and GE reported "You're up to date!"  software version 6.20
    At this point I noted the folder "C:\ProgramData\Garmin" was NOT present (seems like a failed installation ?)
    I clicked on "Map Details" and then "Map Options" and "Install to Computer"
    There was an immediate prompt "There was an error installing the update"

Expletive(s) deleted (but I really don't want to delete them)

So, I am just about done with this entire mess.  I have wasted SO much time on it.

I was willing to spend some time and energy to help determine WHAT CAUSES SLOW DOWNLOADS.

This has been quite a thread with thousands of "reads"

Unfortunately I made no progress what so ever and I (and others) am no farther ahead, in fact I am farther behind.

Maybe AuldNik is right.  Time to move on from Garmin Express.

• I'd hate to let everyone think I have 100% given up on this (but that day might be coming).  I am already researching other options such as the Scenic app.

It's been over 5 weeks since I reached out to Garmin support.  I have gotten absolutely no where with them.

They keep asking the same questions, and I provide the same answers  (kind'a like "unplug it and plug it back in again - delete and reinstall - install the latest version - blah blah blah").

I have asked for escalation.....  notta

They provide no detail on how their products work.  They say they will get back to me...  but my inquiries seem to have gone into the black hole of on-line support (and I have been very polite)

At this stage, not only have I not resolved "SLOW map downloads - what IS the solution?", but Garmin Express doesn't even install properly on my computer any more.

So, I am stalled with no where to go

• If your problem is the network problem I think it is, Garmin Customer Support will not be able to help you.

Did you at some point say that you used a VPN and map downloading from Garmin worked as expected? (I've gone back through this thread but can't find.)

• Thanks for asking Scillonian.

I do not believe it is an issue with my internal network.  I realize any network, ISP, or local computer issues are out of scope for Garmin.

My problem (at the moment) seems to be localized to a specific computer and more that likely, software.

Here is my current situation:

I have a Windows 7 laptop that I was able to successfully download and install Garmin Express, Basecamp and maps.  It integrates well with my Drive Assist 51 GPS.

I was also able to do the same on a Windows 10 laptop.

I successfully installed the software once on these computers and have not repeated any uninstall and/or downloads.  I am not going to compromise these two computers in any further "testing" effort.

I have a Windows 10 desktop that I previously had Garmin Express, Basecamp and maps installed on.  This was the computer that I used to "test" Garmin download speeds.  Currently, I can no longer properly install and run Garmin Express (and thus Bascamp, etc) on this computer.

I have gone from having a working GE/Basecamp installation on this computer (see my posts from 2 months ago) to a broken status.

Yes, on August 18th I did download through my VPN and it magically worked.

After deleting my VPN client, I was initially not able to properly download GE.  A second attempt was successful.

To continue testing (for slow downloads), and to do a "first birthday", I completely uninstalled GE, used CCleaner to clean up any leftover files, and then used REGEDIT and another third party application to completely (and carefully) remove any and all traces of Garmin from my computer.

Since that time I have been unable to fully install GE.  Something is broken on this Windows 10 computer.

I have not had any success with Garmin support in explaining what GE needs to properly install.

What is unfortunate is that through all of this, I have not been able to resolve the initial question of "what causes slow downloads" and in the process, seem to have broken something on my Win10 desktop computer.  I should note that all other functionality, applications and "downloads" work normally on this computer.

i continue to be open to any reasonable, practical suggestions.

• just to close off this subject....  I will not be posting any further comments on this particular subject.  It is unfortunate that after much (wasted) time I was unable to determine any reason for slow downloads.  That remains a mystery.

It is also unfortunate that in the uninstall/reinstall process, I seem to have corrupted something on one of my Windows 10 computers such that I can no longer fully install Garmin Express, Basecamp or maps, and get it to a 100% functional state.  I'll have to rely on my other computers to play with Garmin software.

Possibility even more frustrating was the continuous, repetitive, non-helpful responses from Garmin Support.  There was never any significant detail in any of their responses to my inquiries.  Their response was always the same....  make sure you are running the latest version, don't use WiFi, etc, etc.  Useless info and zero help (even after I answered their questions numerous times).

My conclusion is that I quite like the Garmin GPS products and Basecamp software, but the software is multilevel and it's great when its working, but good luck when things so sideways.  Their "support" is first level only for those that need to know the basics of how to install or simply plug things in.  No help if you need to dig a little deeper.  Oh well.....

My thanks to those that took the time to offer reasonable, detailed and thoughtful help.  I learned a lot from them.

• Your network problem is with a faulty/misconfigured/misrouted connection somewhere between your ISP and the Cloudflare network which is where the Garmin content is served to you from. Earlier this month I ran Wireshark to capture the network traffic while Garmin Express was performing a sync, CIQ add-ons update, and a [small] map update on my fenix 5+. DNS requests for *.garmin.com domain names are returned as *.garmin.com.cdn.cloudflare.net domain names.

You would need the help of the network engineers at your ISP to troubleshoot this but from my experience it takes a lot of time and effort to get to speak to them directly. In big ISPs the network engineers are well shielded from the customers but small ISPs may be more responsive.)

Your easiest option at this point is to use your VPN. As you have stated the download worked when you used your VPN. Because the VPN shifts your gateway onto the public internet it will avoid the connection path that causes the downloads to fail.

• The silence from Garmin itself, not garmin users remains deafening!