This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Popup window to add device to Garmin Express never displays user name and password text boxes to log in to Garmin Connect

New Dell XPS 13 9310; just released with 11th gen i7 processors in last week.

Windows 10 Pro

Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium, as well as Malwarebytes browser guard for security software

Garmin Express installs without errors, recognizes my fenix 6x sapphire and edge 830 with add device option, but the popup to log in to Garmin Connect never displays user name and password text boxes to log in. The popup just displays a blank square white window. No problems logging in to Garmin connect from Microsoft Edge.

Uninstall/reinstall and/or disable security software makes no difference.

My other laptop is an HP Spectre X360 15, purchased 5-2020, 10th gen i7 processor and same software. I deleted both devices from Garmin Express on that laptop, then added them back without difficulty, as the popup window to log in to Garmin Connect for each quickly displays the text boxes for user name and password, while a blank square white popup window without data fields is displayed on the new laptop.

Sounds like something is blocking the popup login for Garmin Connect. 

Thanks

Top Replies

All Replies

• As the Dell XPS is so new (to you) check that all pending Windows Updates have been installed and the necessary reboots performed. Depending on how old the Windows 10 image is that Dell used, there could be several months worth of updates to install.

EDIT: Could you post a screen shot of the login dialogue box?

• Thanks - 

The first thing that I did after starting up the laptop was to run all Windows updates, then all Dell driver updates, then uninstall McAfee to revert to Windows Defender, then install MalwareBytes Premium, and only then install additional software.

I also tried adding *.garmin.com to popup exemptions in IE, as well as [*.]garmin.com in Edge and Chrome in case the login process for Garmin Connect on Garmin Express utilizes any of these browsers, also with no impact.

Attached is a screen shot with my Edge 830 connected to the XPS 13, with the blank white popup without the login fields after selecting Sign In rather than Create an Account.

• Well done for ensuring all Windows updates were installed before you used the machine.

Are you sure you have completely removed McAfee? Last time I had to remove McAfee from a machine the uninstall process did not remove everything.

Also have you tried with MalwareBytes Premium disabled, or better still, uninstalled?

By monitoring Garmin Express from Process Explorer, it appears to spawn a sub-process for the login dialogue. Could be there be a rogue remanent of McAfee or MalwareBytes Premium is interfering?

Out of interest, did the HP Spectre X360 15 also come with McAfee?

• I ran the McAfee product removal tool to make sure that it was completely uninstalled, then ran the MalwareBytes equivalent for complete removal of MalwareBytes, all with no impact. Even disabled real-time protection for Windows Defender briefly and no impact.

The HP came with McAfee, uninstalled day it was set up, didn't use the product removal tool, no problems with Garmin Express thus far, using Windows Defender and MalwareBytes Premium. I've got an older HP Spectre X360 15 from 12-2018 at my office that I used until the new model arrived 5-2020, with same security software and no problems with Garmin Express prior to that. It also came with McAfee, which I had uninstalled.

Don't think that McAfee, Malwarebytes or even Windows Defender are the problem based on these findings.

I hope that my devices can be updated via WiFi directly from Garmin or via Garmin Connect from iOS. I think that direct update via WiFi has occurred at least once from my fenix 6x sapphire, but not sure whether any map updates would be downloaded on the cycling computer or watch. I'm thinking of keeping the Dell at my house and bringing the Spectre x360 15 to my office, and don't want to have to update my devices at the office (other than downloaded firmware updates that I can get from the forums that don't require Garmin Express 

• I hope that my devices can be updated via WiFi directly from Garmin or via Garmin Connect from iOS.

As far as I am aware it is only map updates that cannot be performed via Garmin Connect Mobile. You will still need to use Garmin Express for map updates.

I manage, activity upload, and update my Garmin devices using Garmin Connect Mobile (Android) and only reluctantly use Garmin Express for map updates.

One other possibility is the Windows 10 image installed by Dell is damaged. Have you tried any of the system repair tools such as SFC or DISM to check the integrity of the Windows 10 image?

When Garmin Express launches the login dialogue, the following file is called as part of the sub process 'CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe' that starts when the signin dialogue appears:

C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_5.82.19041.488_none_89e6152f0b32762e

If it is missing or corrupt, then this may be why the dialogue is blank. (The version information in the name may be different for you.)

• I had already run both DISM and SFC without errors; forgot to note that as I usually run them when I run into software errors.

This issue with the Garmin Connect login problem from within Garmin Express has apparently just surfaced, their engineers are working on it, and I have already sent them my log files.

Must not be very widespread, or would have more posts here. 

• HI 1917106,  I am facing exactly the same problem you have listed above with the blank login in screen. I did the same steps as you have gone through and can confirm that it it the same result. I am using Lenovo Ideapad Slim 7i with 11th gen i7 processor and have Bitdefender disable to no avail. 

My other Surface Pro 4 machine running with the exactly same set of software and OS had no problem at all. 

Not really sure what is the cause of the problem and I hope Garmin could resolve this problem. .

I don't think it is the virus or windows security setting because I have set it to the same as my Surface Pro and still not working. 

• Perhaps the problem is related to the 11th gen Intel chipset, which could be the reason it is starting to show up as new laptops are released. Recommend that you call or email garmin customer support so that you can send them application logs from Garmin Express.

• See this thread and answer: Blank screen when signing in to Garmin accountNot really a fix, but at least gets you logged in

• I spoke with Garmin support and tried everything that was suggested. No help.Then spent ninety minutes with Dell support. Still nothing. Express has worked on every other I have ever owned. This is a new Dell with Eleventh Gen i7, gonna return it and go to Tenth Gen i5 and see if it works there. Really annoyed!