This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Download SOOO SLOOOOOOOW

I download and upload huge files all the time and trying to get the Cycle Map North America was absolute torture. Not only was it trickling in on a 5 hour rate to completion at 1-2 mbps half way through rates dropped to half a mbps and added 3+ hours to the download. 

Are you guys throttling downloads half way through when people feel like they're past the point of no return? To watch the already way too slow download get slowed down half way through the process blew my mind. And don't blame my internet, we were pushing 80 mbps download speeds when you guys were coming in a kbps speeds. 

8+ hours and a headache to get a $19 product I just paid you for? I wouldn't be so annoyed if you gave me a heads up before I bought the product. And I wouldn't be so annoyed if the download speeds didn't slow even slower half way through. Come on Garmin!

• Garmin don't throttle their map updates, and my experience in years of downloading their CN and other maps is that they are relatively quick, my last CN update completed in less than 30 minutes.  If yours is taking that long then either you have a system issue or there is a temporary issue at Garmin.  Try calling them to ask.

• No system issue here. We have consistently fast download and upload speeds here. Not to mention we do a lot of downloading and uploading through plenty of other sites. In fact Garmin is the only issue I've had in a long time. so the same day before and after the attempt with the Garmin map download. Everything else was as smooth as ever that day and days before and since. Garmin was the issue.  

I restarted the download attempt today and I'm being told there is a file error on Garmin's end and I can't download it any more. Waste of $20 and time I'll never get back trying to figure out this annoying issue. 

And contacting Garmin and getting product support hasn't been easy and still isn't. I'm considering this issue unresolvable at this point and am out both a product I wanted, $20 and time. And to top it off I'm having to now reconsider my Garmin in the first place. I want a computer with maps but I can't even get a basic one of the US to install from Garmin to my Garmin. 

• As I said, either ... or ... , and in this case it seems or ...

Just call Garmin and they'll resolve it.

• Good eve all , 

I'm having that exact same problem attempting to update my (recently updated to 2021 from 2020) map coupled with interruptions with error messages telling me that the download's failed due to a server error . By the way , I've noticed that Express has been updated 2-3 times since June this year
    I'm not having it that Garmin are not at least partially responsible for their software at very least . Garmin Express needs to be more intuitive and user friendly .  It's become increasingly more difficult year on year to perform the basic task of map updates . 

Last year I sent my Nav to my brother in the UK to update . My internet has never been 'high speed' but adequate enough to do the necessary up until 2-3 years ago so for Garmin et al to blame connection is lame . 

Mine is a 'classic' 1310T , using Windows 10 and I'm in Ireland . 

• Not sure how much easier Garmin could make it. You just install Express, add your device, let it check for updates and then click Install now. 

Bear in mind Express also works with all their fitness, cycling and On the trail devices so many updates have nothing to do with On the road devices. Think in all the years I've used Express I've only experienced issues a few times.

The complaints on this forum are minimal given the number of Garmin devices being used.

• Sure , Express is a straightforward boxticking/downloading exercise , it's just when it's intended purpose doesn't do what it says on the tin . Users are left scratching their heads , mildly frustrated to begin with . Having waited multiple hours (even by UK connection standards)to complete their task if indeed it does so successfully . 

I've lost count of how often I've done the 'Uninstall/Reinstall/Restart process , formatted my sd card after each failed download . I've even disabled my antivirus against my better judgement .  

I have to say that with your seemingly unshakeable faith in Garmin , you must be hardwired to the company  Grinning 

I'll give em another buzz at Support . 

• Nope, I'm nothing to do with Garmin