This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Offline gpx track extraction from smart watch

How can I extract recorded gpx tracks from my watch without uploading them to the Garmin cloud first? This upload/cloud approach is roundabout and has privacy issues.

I hate any kind of cloud.

The watch connects as a standard USB mass storage device and all the necessary information should be already there, completely offline.

• ...so did you browse the content of said watch using Windows Explorer or whatever file manager you're using and searched for these GPX files manually in the first place? Nobody forces you to upload anything anywhere, that's for sure.

Which watch do you own?

• Yup, lots of .FIT files, nothing else. Google says I should upload them to the Garmin Cloud and use Garmin Connect to extract gpx. Thank you very much, but why upload first? This is private data, and there are still places on this planet without Internet connection. Does anyone know what to do with FIT files? This is way more complicated than it should be.

vivoactive 3.

• Understood.

Try now-obsolete Garmin Training Center - you will have to search for it a bit, I think.

Alas! Unless I'm mistaken it should do the trick.

• Thanks a lot, your answer set me on the right track. It seems Garmin Basecamp is something like a replacement for Training Center and seems to be able to do what I want.

• Basecamp will also allow you to do the same.

(Also, Training Center was replaced by Connect actually - but I still continue to use it. Have also rather strong views about this cloud-y business although do upload content to there)

• I think Mapsource should also be able to do it.