This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Won't Update Garmin Dash Cam 55

Recently purchased a used Garmin Dash Cam 55,

Using the Garmin Express software it will offer to update from 4.10 to 4.40, everything installs the way it should and once disconnecting the Dash Cam from the PC it turns off and is still at version 4.10.

AFAIK the reason the VIRB app isn't working for me is because the Dash Cam needs to be up to date. I've tried running Express as an Administrator.

Any Ideas?

• Has the update file downloaded successfully? It'll be named gupdate.gcd and will be in the .system folder.  If it has did you get any information about updating software when you turned on the device?  If not how much free space is there on the device?  Also try deleting the garmindevice.xml file in the Garmin folder.  It's possible you are running 4.40 but that file didn't update correctly.  Deleting it will force your device to recreate it next time you switch it on, then see what software version it reports.

• The update file downloads and installs perfectly, it says nothing after unplugging from the PC, just restarts with the setup menu (Language>Units> Time Format etc.)

I tried deleted the XML and tried updating,  still no luck.

The Micro SD is a new 64gb so it should be fine space wise, it is recording videos and photos with no issues

• @

Did you resovle this problem? I have the same situation. I have tried to replace SD Cards, try to update from another PC.

• What same situation? Try explaining exactly what you're trying to do and where it fails?

• 1. Connect Dashcam 55 to PC via USB cable.
    2. Open Garmin Express.
    3. Click update & wait for downloaded files appears at the device.
    4. Disconnecting Dashcam from the PC. (the Dashcam turns off)
    5. Connecting Dascam to the supply in the car.
    6. The Dascam setups (lang, position of camera etc.) will begin and the firmware is still 4.10 (American English).

Even if i can handle this version of the firmware, but every time Dashcam is launching i have to setup all settings again.

• You've confused me.  Normally between step 4 and 5 you're asked to reconnect the device to the PC once it has rebooted, but you appear to be skipping that? Also are you saying that everytime you switch on you're asked to go through the whole setup process again?  Does it ever get a satellite lock? If it does and it's still doing it I suggest you try a master reset.

• Normally between step 4 and 5 you're asked to reconnect the device to the PC once it has rebooted, but you appear to be skipping that?

As i have describe - after disconnect USB cable dashcam turns off.

Does it ever get a satellite lock?

I don't understand what is that meaning. All features after start and inital setup works fine - recording, saving, gps ...

If it does and it's still doing it I suggest you try a master reset.

Are you talking about magic 12 secons of holding power off button - i have tried that many times.

• After it's turned off reconnect it ... so Express can finish correctly.

By satellite lock I mean does it show your correct position?  Continually going through the setup process can be a sign that hasn't happened.

No, holding the power off button isn't a master reset.  See forums.gpsreview.net/.../how-to-perform-a-hard-reset-master-reset-on-your-nuvi

• Thank you for still try to help me.

By satellite lock I mean does it show your correct position?  Continually going through the setup process can be a sign that hasn't happened.

Like i said. Everything after Initial setup is ok - GPS connects to sattelite, at the video recordings i can see correct lat,lang positions and speed in correct unit.

I have tried disconnect USB cable after Garmin Express update, and connect again - nothings heappens. In the Garmin Express i can see that i have current version of software (nothing to update).

No, holding the power off button isn't a master reset.  See forums.gpsreview.net/.../how-to-perform-a-hard-reset-master-reset-on-your-nuvi

There is a lot of instructions for NUVI, but i have Dashcam 55 without touch screen.

• My apologies, I was thinking of the nuviCam