This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is There an Alternative to Garmin Express?

Former Member
Former Member

At the beginning of 2019, I was able to update the maps on my Garmin GPS using Garmin Express without a problem. Now, in 2020, using the same GPS and computer, I keep getting error messages. I'm using the USB cord that came with the Garmin, and I fully charged the device before beginning.

I also tried to update the maps on a second Windows PC. It hung in there a lot longer than on the first PC, but eventually the hated red error-message stripe showed up.

Is Garmin Express the only way to upgrade maps?

With cell phones becoming a serious competitor to GPS units, partly because they update in real time, one would think Garmin would do a better job of building a more reliable updating system.

Bill

• No there isn't, but what device are you trying to update?  What did the error message say?  When you look at your device in File Explorer how much free space is there?

I've used Express for many years now and it never fails to update my 4 devices so I find it very reliable.

• Not quite correct. If you load the maps only onto your PC with Express then you can then transfer to the device with MapInstall.

• That's still using Express though Slight smile

• I'm having the same problem except I've a new device and express has never worked for me.  I've tried everything I can think of including removing all other software except express from my pc.

I start with a newly formatted card.  Tried different formats, etc.  What is really annoying is every time it fails, you have another 3 hour wait time on the download to watch it fail again on the install.  I hate to say it, but this software is missing some very fundamental reliability features that you would find in even the most trivial entertainment product.  I could have written a better app myself in the time I've spent trying to make this one work.

It looks like that is what I will have to do.

• Well it's worked successfully for me for many years so the likelihood is a problem with your system.  What device do you have?  What error messages, if any, are you getting?

• I don't want to assume it's a garmin issue because they are using the MS task API, which can be extremely complicated and easy to mess up.  I tried an earlier version but they won't let you do that.  I tried removng all Windows non security updates and still failed.  I suspect it's a problem with this latest version.  I am guessing it's the first version that uses MS task API.  Very error prone IMO.  Haven't used it much myself.  They should be doing ths sort of thng in Cpp IMO.

Anyway, device is GPSMAP 86i.  The Active Capton app is also rather fiddly WRT network threading, but it works and I do love how they did the interface.  Probably done in Java though.

I live in an area where network can be sketchy.  Going to try it in an urbane center eventually unless they release an update.

• I have the almost the same problem: I got the USB sign in the Vivoactive HR, but the Garmin Express cannot find the device.

• I am also using an older laptop that doesn't support usb 3.0.  I would think that would make it more reliable not less, but who knows.  I'm just speculating having found the location of their log files on the rest of it.  I'm sure the SW is much more complicated than a simple asynchronous download.  I'm frustrated at the utter failure to provide me with my purchased content to my device and no alternatve method to try.  These things are not cheap toys.

• I don't know. It seems for me that recognise the Garmin.

I don't know. It seems to me that the computer recognise the Garmin device

• yes the software for the last few months has _more_ windows errors - inlcuding not releasing when the windows stop request is made - that is if it is running in the background - in the taskbar

Garmin does not update and test with the latest releases of windows - and is still using old windows features in their later relases - not just the welcome to the new software label at the top of the software - but also old windows api calls to usb and pc device enumeration

last year there were problems with street map navigation - so they just turned it off in an update - instead of fixing it

really they are makig so much money from commercial and military conracts that the user sufff is a tiny market for them

however some people who use their stuff also make decsions for or AGAINST GARMIN

yes of course it can be updated manually - it is just another usb share mount onto whatever computer you are using

the problem now is getting the GCD file of the version firmware that is actually from Garmin - because the have been removing links - i think they called this security improvments Slight smile

so a gcd file - dropped into the correct path - similar to maps updates - free maps - there are lots of links in the Internet

i wish that other englsh fellow would stop saying all these things are impossible - or wavering the blame from Garmin- he's a fan I 'guess' :)