This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Wasted disk space by old versions of Express

I checked what takes disk space and found out that Express keeps all previous installers...

It saves them in this hidden folder:

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Application\

And it gets bigger after every update.

So every user must delete those files by hand, from time to time, to not waste disk space.

This is a very bad design. I can't imagine why anybody would be that evil to do such nasty thing or maybe someone was just stupid.

This could be a feature, but then it must be disabled by default and only user should be able to turn it on.

Checkbox "Keep all older version" with clear information to which directory save them - is a must.

Now this is just very wrong.

• Interesting, never seen anyone raise this before so I checked, I only have the last two, taking up 164Mb, so I can't see that being an issue.  It would of course be beneficial if someone wanted to revert to an earlier version.

• Mine was already 1 GB, in that directory there was every installer, from time when I installed Express on that computer.

So maybe you removed and installed again. Or maybe it's a bug which makes Express keeps all installers.

Two would be acceptable, for more, user should agree.

• I suspect it's certainly a bug ...

• The whole Garmin folder is huge: 36.3GB. There are 1.52GB in garmin\coreservice\Downloads\Application and 34.4GB in garmin\coreservice\downloads\map.

In the application folder was every installer for every version of garmin express ever installed on the PC. This is not normal. I am rather sure that there are not many people checking this thing so there are almost no reports regarding the issue.  I have checked after I read this thread.

• The map one is known about, Express places files there so updating multiple devices or reinstalling maps is faster.  I keep the current and previous versions, and delete any others.

• Good grief! Applications has 23 versions since v5.8 in 2017 - total of 1.8GB.

Maps has 7 versions of EU map since 2018-10 in 2017 - total of 45GB.

Firmware & Temp also seem to have the same afliction, although as much smaller they are less of an issue.

So Express is wasting over 40GB of my disc space. How appalling.

Which can be safely deleted? Everything except the two versions in each case?

• You can actually delete them all if you want to.

• Yep, all content under:

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads

Can be safely deleted once all necessary updates for all devices completed successfully. I suggest checking there after each update (software, maps, firmware etc.).

• I overcame my C: SSD limited disk space by doing the following.

1 Uninstall Garmin Express from the SSD C: drive which is its default storage location.

2 Re-Install Garmin Express but make sure you use the options button to install Garmin Express on your D: drive or another drive that has storage capacity,  in my case I made a new folder D:\Garmin

Now all files will be directed off the SSD drive and onto the D: drive which in my case is 2 TB so storage problem is solved.

Hope this helps others