This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why is Garmin Express using 20% of my GPU?

I was wondering why my PC was so sluggish.  So I took a look at Task Manager to see what was sucking up the processor so much.      It shows me Garmin Express is sucking up almost 20% of my GPU, not to mention 5% of CPU  For the image below it dropped to 17.5 but usually it's around 19%.  Even though it's doing nothing.  Even though no devices are connected.  It just sits there at 19%, using more than all the rest of WIndows combined.

Any idea why it needs to suck up so much GPU consistently?  

• Well for starters because Garmin Express runs automatically on many people's computers.  and if I fire it up manually I don't want to have to remember to shut it down just to prevent it from needlessly wasting CPU time.

I have been writing software for a living for decades.  If the software I write continually used up that much CPU, I would not have job for long.  And my software isn't even used by hundreds of thousands of people like garmin's is

• Right, had you read the problem description within the thread with a bit more comprehension you would have spotted two things:

1. It's not hogging on CPU resources, but GPU - hardly noticeable by those who do not open Task Manager

2. More importantly, it only does so when device window is specifically open within GE. It's exactly 0% when GE is run in background, or when it's open and showing the main screen.

So although it's not great - and I wrote about it above already - I would think it's a non-problem.

• Thank you very much! Now I also installed the new version and seems that the bug is fixed. I am not an IT person, therefore your easy solution helps me a lot. Thanks!

• Modern-day applications use the GPU for number crunching, not just graphical processing.   And opening the device window is the only way to manually sync the thing.  Sure you can close it.  But than you have a thing you need to do (and remember to do) every single time you sync just to keep this application from needlessly hogging resources on the rest of your computer.

I could eliminate the resource hogging by shutting down the application over a year ago when I first posted this question.  That wasn't the point.  Anything consistently using 20% of the GPU while doing nothing has a real problem.  Not the typical severity of problem caused by a Garmin software bug but a bug nevertheless.  And a pointless one that any software developer worth his salt could identify within minutes

• JMO_1967, I agree with you.