This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why is Garmin Express using 20% of my GPU?

I was wondering why my PC was so sluggish.  So I took a look at Task Manager to see what was sucking up the processor so much.      It shows me Garmin Express is sucking up almost 20% of my GPU, not to mention 5% of CPU  For the image below it dropped to 17.5 but usually it's around 19%.  Even though it's doing nothing.  Even though no devices are connected.  It just sits there at 19%, using more than all the rest of WIndows combined.

Any idea why it needs to suck up so much GPU consistently?  

• I have a problem of high CPU usage since this update: October 24, 2019-KB4522742 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 1909 and Windows Server, version 1909. The CPU usage is in WMI Host Provider but is caused by a Garmin Express process. If Garmin Express is closed the CPU goes back to normal. There was also an update to Garmin Express 6.19.3.0 recently - I don't know if that is causing the problem or the .NET update but whatever the case, there is some conflict. For now my workaround is not to have Garmin Express running in the background, but just when I need to sync my Fenix 5.

• Same problem

Garmin Express 6.19.3.0

Windows 10 64 with all updates

WMI goes up over 20% CPU when Garmin connect is running

• Still the same with Garmin Express v6.21.0.0 installed today. Garmin needs to fix this! The update even reactived the "Always keep running in the background" option, and it took me a while to remember GE was the cause of the high CPU usage. 

• You posted in a thread that was 7 months old. Issue was resolved about 3 updates ago.You need to update to the latest version of Express 7.1.4. 

• Thank you for your reply.

However, I have version 7.1.4.0 on two different PCs, but issue persists on both of them.

Windows 10 version is 2004 build 19041.572.

Regards,

/alex

• Which issue, there are a couple mentioned? Are you talking about high CPU usage or the setting for Keep Express running in the background?

• I just checked it on my PC (HP Omen 870-095na):

GE definitely utilises next to 0% GPU resources when it's inactive, i.e. no device is connected and its GUI does nothing.

GPU utilisation jumps to ~3% when I click 'Add a device' - I'm guessing that this rotating circle does it, I suppose.

GPU utilisation jumps to ~15% when I connect the device and sync takes place - I'm guessing (again) that this rotating arrow does it.

Is this acceptable? I don't know - looks a bit heavy to me for what it is, but then again: hastily and clunkily non-optimised compiled software these days seems norm, so perhaps there's nothing to see here?

Is this really a problem?

• Issue regards GPU usage.  It starts when I click on my device, it happens even though device is not connected.

Please see attached Task Manager screenshots.

• Right, so it does this but only if you enter the device window. Otherwise it's next to 0%.

But you surely do not keep GE with device window open for very long?

If that's so, why is this a problem for you?