This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express - "There was an error installing the content"

I purchased a marine chart for download to an Oregon 600 (yes, it is on the approved list of devices).

I am able to start Express, and it finds the content, but when I click on the cloud symbol to begin the download, I get the (utterly useless) message, "There was an error installing the content".  That's it, nothing more.

Yes, I followed the instructions in the confirmaton email carefully.

Yes, I followed the debug steps.

Yes, I sent an email to support ("We normally respond within five to 10 business days")  How do they get away with that nonsense??  This stuff is EXPENSIVE, but the support system is really that slow/unreliable??

Has anybody else had a problem like this?  Or is Garmin Express really just the piece of junk it appears to be?

Color me "Very Frustrated".

• Call Garmin, you get an instant answer then

• I got this same message a few years back when updating a street map for my Montana using Garmin Express a few years back. Below is a copy/paste of garmins reply of solution that worked. The link to Microsoft Fixit may be different now:

I am sorry you are having trouble getting Garmin Express and BaseCamp to work correctly on the
    computer and I would be happy to help you with this issue. First, we want to uninstall all three programs
    using a Microsoft Fixit. This does a more thorough job than just uninstalling like normal. Please follow
    the next steps:
    1. First we need to use a Microsoft Fixit to make sure Express uninstalls correctly.
    1. Download the Microsoft Fixit to uninstall programs from here: http://go.microsoft.com/?
    linkid=9779673 .
    2. Run the "Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter" (the file we just downloaded).
    3. Please choose to "accept" the license.
    4. Select to "Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended)".
    5. When prompted, select "Uninstalling".
    6. Select "Garmin Express" when it shows you the list of your programs.
    7. Click on "Next".
    8. Repeat this process for the "Elevated Installer", "ANT Drivers Installer x64" (the "x64"
    may not be at the end), and “Garmin Tray” if they are listed.
    9. Go through this process for BaseCamp and MapInstall as well.
    Now, we want to remove any remnants of Garmin Express. Please try the following:
    1. Now, we also want to remove any remnants of the installer:
    1. Press the Windows key + "R" to open the "Run" command box. (The Windows key is the
    one 2 keys to the left of the space bar.)
    2. Type in %programdata% and then press the “Enter” key.
    3. Right-click on the "Package Cache" folder.
    4. Select to "Delete" and confirm that you want to delete it.
    2. We need to remove a configuration file from the computer.
    1. Press the Windows key + "R" to open the "Run" command box.
    2. Type in %localappdata% and then press the “Enter” key.
    3. Right-click on the "Garmin_Ltd._or_its_subsid" folder.
    4. Select "Delete" and confirm that you want to delete the folder. The configuration file is
    inside the folder and will be gone.
    3. Restart the computer.
    Finally, we can reinstall the programs and they should work. please try the links below:

• I tried that also.  Support staff is over whelmed.  Probably with too many people with the same issue.  From today's experience to only solution is eMail which will take at least a week.  The best solution is a refund on the maps.

• Microsoft Fixit is no longer available. I followed the rest of these instructions and still get "There was an error installing the content" when trying to download a map I just purchased. :-(

• Hold up, I'm wrong. I had neglected the "restart the computer" step. Doing that fixed the problem and now my map is downloading.

Or else the real problem is that some time must pass between buying and downloading the map. An experience I had last week with a different map has me suspicious.

• For Windows 10, if you uninstall Garmin Express, reboot and reinstall then the maps will download. The Windows 10 uninstall seems to remove all the offending files.

• I should follow up with what finally happened eight months ago.  After struggling for a good long while, I was finally able to reach someone at Garmin who informed me that, indications to the contrary, marine navigation charts are NOT supported on the Oregon 600.  They sent me a refund.

To say I found the experience frustrating would be a severe understatement. For one thing, there's no apparent reason why marine charts are not supported on a relatively current device.  For another, to have the installation fail with a completely useless error message is completely unacceeptable.

Garmin's sheepish recommendation was to buy a new device, which I most assuredly will not do.  No need to go through this shenanigans again.

• Thanks for reporting back, I'll now close this thread.