This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Map Update Forces Me To Select Canada

While riding my motorcycle yesterday, I got the notice to update my map. So, after plugging up the Zumo 550 to the PC and using Express to recognize it (new PC), the update tells me it's too big -- and I have to pick from a list of available partial maps. And what does it show me???? Just one map -- for Canada and bordering states. Useless to me. Installed in the Lower 49. How do I get around this blockade? I'll attach a screenshot...
  • Your device doesn't have the Install to card option in Express like most Garmin devices. You need to install the map to your PC then use BaseCamp/MapInstall to send the map to your 550. See here for more info

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=b17m7lCO3R4UKUAt8x67J7
  • Great advice. I was puzzled about pulling it down to my PC. I have BaseCamp and MapInstall on the PC now. But it reads like it's going to pull down BaseCamp again. How do I avoid having two installations on my PC? And if I specify a location other than the OS SSD -- like my internal 1 TB HD -- will all the apps find the map? Finally, I don't want to lose all the data I have currently in BaseCamp. How do I protect it? I used to be good at using this product, but I've fallen way behind and feel like a beginner.
  • OK. I managed to pull down City Navigator North America NT 2020.1. It didn't mess up BaseCamp (whew!). But I'm unsuccessful in using MapInstall to update the Zumo. It says that I'm already 6K over the limit, and any clicking on the map sections just overloads it more. Question: Is there some way it first delete V2018.3. I read on BaseCamp that it is resident in Internal Storage on the Zumo -- and it isn't resident on the memory card. Maybe it should be deleted first. Funny how MapInstall doesn't show any options for pointing at the memory card.

I'm also pulling an error: Error while communicating with Zumo; reading file garmin/gpx/current.gpx. That's worrisome.

I also suppose it's natural for BaseCamp to complain when trying to look at stuff on the Zumo. I says, "The device containing City Navigator NA NT 2018.3 is connected with limited speed. This may affect the performance of BaseCamp." Obviously, this is trying to read the map file off the Zumo.

I feel like there must be a way to remove the old outdated map file off the device graciously. I'm afraid that if I start brute-force deleting I'm going to break something.

I can see the V2018 file in the root of the Garmin, chewing up 1.2 GB of space. Here's a screenshot.

• You'll need to do two things. First, install the Canada portion to your device, then use MapInstall to send the rest of the map to a sd card. You won't be able to send it to your device, which unless I've misunderstood you is what you're trying to do?

To send to the card select it in the top left hand pane in BaseCamp, right click it and select 'Install maps'

Don't worry about the current.gpx error, if that concerns you simply delete current.gpx, your device will recreate it next time you switch it on.
  • OK. I managed to pull down City Navigator North America NT 2020.1. It didn't mess up BaseCamp (whew!). But I'm unsuccessful in using MapInstall to update the Zumo. It says that I'm already 6K over the limit, and any clicking on the map sections just overloads it more. Question: Is there some way it first delete V2018.3. I read on BaseCamp that it is resident in Internal Storage on the Zumo -- and it isn't resident on the memory card. Maybe it should be deleted first. Funny how MapInstall doesn't show any options for pointing at the memory card.

I'm also pulling an error: Error while communicating with Zumo; reading file garmin/gpx/current.gpx. That's worrisome.

I also suppose it's natural for BaseCamp to complain when trying to look at stuff on the Zumo. I says, "The device containing City Navigator NA NT 2018.3 is connected with limited speed. This may affect the performance of BaseCamp." Obviously, this is trying to read the map file off the Zumo.

I feel like there must be a way to remove the old outdated map file off the device graciously. I'm afraid that if I start brute-force deleting I'm going to break something.

I can see the V2018 file in the root of the Garmin, chewing up 1.2 GB of space. Here's a screenshot.

I have a zumo 550 with the same issue. Were you able to resolve the issue?
  • Which issue? There are a number in the post you quote, some resolved in the posts above.
  • Thank you, again, for your assistance. This is confusing. I'm currently installing some maps from the PC to the Garmin's memory card. For example, I live in Florida so I'm moving over Florida and a good deal of the East Coast up to the Carolinas. Progress is understandably slow.

Using BaseCamp, when I click on the City Navigator North America NT 2020.1, now installed in internal storage on the Zumo, I don't see any local roads or streets, even though I have the detail level set to "highest." Are the details still loading perhaps? I assume I won't need to click on the Zumo map when building a Route. I'll be doing that with the same version map installed on the computer and just sent the Route to the Garmin?

I build virtually all my Routes using BaseCamp and do not bother to construct anything on the Zumo itself. Just FYI.

Am I going to have to live with maps on the Zumo that appear to cover the entire North American continent? Is there some way to cut these down to size. I seems I used to be able to just load a section of the U.S. and be done with it.

Here's a screenshot of the Maps installed.
  • Sorry but you've now lost me. Your zumo would only accept Canada, so if you're trying to view Florida you'll only see the basemap. You need to send maps of other areas to your SD card. Once you've done that you'll be able to see them in BaseCamp.
  • Let's start over, partially, with the question of "Why does the Zumo only seem to see or accept the Canada map when I'm trying to update the Lower 49?"

Is it not possible to clean this up and put a region of the US on the internal storage of Zumo, and if needed, add in other areas to the SD card? This is very confusing. I now see on the Zumo device itself, when accessing Map Info, a check mark next to CN North America NT 2020.10, and beneath it is [1] Raleigh, NC, Atlanta, Georg (and the rest is off the screen). Beneath this I see [2} Canada. I believe the data it's trying to show under [1] is the stuff I picked when I loaded map portions from BaseCamp onto the Zumo SD card (as I said, I selected pretty much Florida and most of the East Coast below Virginia.

Again, why do I need to garbage my device up with the map of Canada? I have no use for this.

Maybe you're trying to tell me that when I map out a Route on BaseCamp, when it gets sent to the Zumo it ensures that all the relevant maps are pulled into the device. Right?

• Lets back track, as trying to understand remotely what you've done is tricky. When you used Express to install Canada to your device that should have overwritten the map that was there so the only portion of CN NA on your device should be Canada. The rest of CN NA you should have installed to your card as explained above.

BaseCamp will normally use the map you installed to your PC, but it will also use the map on your Zumo if you select it.

If you send a route to your Zumo that route uses the map on your device or SD card as appropriate. Sending a route doesn't install maps to your device, that's a separate activity, again as explained above.