This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Change download location for map-updates

Is there a way to change the default download location from "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads" to another directory on another drive?
Yesterday my harddrive almost ran out of space (90 %) during map update for my Edge 1000.

Cheers
Uwe
  • As far as I know: no, it's not possible.
  • You can create a directory junction to move the Dowloads folder to a different drive (using mklink /J Downloads "X:\path\to\Garmin\Downloads).

The files will be stored there but this doesn't resolve the "insufficient disk space on computer" issue. People with old SSDs like me have this kind of issue all the time and it's frankly mind-boggling that tech companies such as Garmin or Google still do not let users choose their installation drive instead of using the system drive. So if you have very little free space on your system SSD, you won't be able to update the maps on your brand new Edge device, which is frankly appalling...

• Those instructions does not deal with where Garmin Express store downloads to be installed on devices. They are about where maps to be used on the computer is stored.

• Right click on your current downloads folder and select 'Properties' then click on 'Locations' and set a new location with more space. (Temp external drive if needed)  

• is there any solution for this problem yet? The system disk does not have enough space to download the map update, and there is a lot of it on the second one, despite this the update is still impossible. 

Garmin Edge 820

• Can you be more specific?  What do you mean by system disk?  What is there a lot of on the second one, and what is the second one?  What map update are you talking about?  Afraid we're not all mind readers.

• system disk is disk when windows and other system directoris are located - usually C:

in my case it's a small 60GB SSD - also C:

the second one is 256GB HDD - D:

if I connect my garmin Edge 820 to my Windows PC with garmin Express there is information that I can update my map

but if I try do this there is an error calls that I need to have a 15GB free space, but unfortunatly on my system disk is only 7GB space but on second one is 100GB free space

there isnt any way to force garmin to use second disk to made map update

I try to install Garmin express on D: drive but if I process map update ther is still error ypou need 15GB free space

• Unfortunately as far as I'm aware Express has to run off the C drive, is there something you can temporarily move to the D drive while you run Express and update maps?

• no there is only small disk and I have only system and some usefull aplication on it. I cant move anything

all my user data are already on disk D:

it is Garmin's ridiculous idea that he did not give the option to choose the location for downloading / storing components