This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express - There was an error installing the update

These "install failure" topics seem to be closed as soon as they are opened. But all we can do it keep trying.

Before any reply from Moderator. YES Garmin support has been contacted. As of yet, still no help, nor resolution.

Garmin Fenix 5x - v11.00

All standard stuff has been tried.
Reboot Machine
Reboot Watch
Connect/Disconnect from USB
Uninstall / Reinstall Express
and lastly, yes Garmin product support has been contacted (not a shock, but initial contact was not fruitful)

Only thing note tried is a factory default reset on the Fenix 5x. And since I have things saved, that is a drastic effort that I am hesitant to take. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1411987.jpg ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1411988.jpg ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1411989.jpg ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1411990.jpg
  • Work through this FAQ https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=GuclsqmdI02dC0ULxHR2T6

If that doesn't help then go back to Product Support for detailed troubleshooting.
  • Appreciate the reply. I just missed the phone-call window, so email support was requested. I will try phone again once they open. All the setups listed in the link were tried, and for the error listed, wouldnt really have impact, not with checksum verification at IP layers. So we'll see what tech support has to offer. Hopefully good news.
  • This is a long shot, but in another thread someone had the well-known problem with a corrupt or expired EPO.BIN installed on his watch by Garmin Express 6.7.2.0. I advised him to update to GE 6.8.1.0 and update again. He told me that he got an error when trying to update the watch from 6.8.1.0. A few days later he came back to thread telling me that he had deleted the EPO.BIN on his watch and then updated from GE. He did not describe any other steps taken to get the update working. Neither did he tell me if removing EPO.BIN had been a necessary step in getting the update working.

So as I said, it is a long shot, but could the corrupt EPO.BIN somehow cause the update of the watch to fail?

It can be easily checked. Just delete the EPO.BIN from the watch (found in the Garmin/RemoteSW folder in my 5X+), and try another update after that. There is not really any risk involved in this since Garmin Connect Mobile will install a new EPO.BIN during sync.
  • Ok. Guess I didnt try this yesterday. But today I was going to plug into Garmin Express again. Just to see if anything different happened.
    I reproduce the "Failed" to update.

But then on the Fenix 5x itself, the was was still in the prompt about "Mass Storage" mode. Normally its in "Garmin" mode. I chose yes to the "Mass Storage mode".
    The watch stayed connected to Express. I then (i tried individually) to install the maps. Each of them installed fully. The Routable bicycle map did take a solid 30 - 45 min.

Nowhere have I read this, but I wonder if being in "Garmin [usb] Mode" was the issue.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1412546.jpg
  • Express needs to be able to connect with your device. See this thread https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/running/forerunner-935-aa/1412123-usb-mode-mass-storage-or-garmin and if you were in power only mode that would explain your problem.
  • Express needs to be able to connect with your device. See this thread https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/running/forerunner-935-aa/1412123-usb-mode-mass-storage-or-garmin and if you were in power only mode that would explain your problem.

Perhaps yes. But why would Garmin Express connect to the watch ..at all.. if it was in the power mode. Why would/should you able be able to change settings and preferences. Why are you able to do so many things, except the update.

If using Garming (Power) Mode is the issue, then Garmin Express should (since it can connect to the watch, sync with the watch, change other things) then perhaps rather than displaying a non-discript error, it should provide a specific error. meannig, alert the user the was is in Garmin mode and needed to be in Mass Storage mode.

• Hi Gents
    Please your help, I just got a Fenix 5X Plus and I am trying to update map "Coverage of Noth and South America" but I just got error message that said: "There was an error installing the update".
    After that, looking for a solution I have done manual update to "fenix 5X Plus software version 6.51 Beta", but when I tried to perform map update I just got same error message,
    Please your help, how I can download / update mentioned map in Fenix 5XPlus.
    Thanks

• See this FAQ, mentioned above https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=GuclsqmdI02dC0ULxHR2T6

If that doesn't help then call Product Support for detailed help
  • This is a long shot, but in another thread someone had the well-known problem with a corrupt or expired EPO.BIN installed on his watch by Garmin Express 6.7.2.0. I advised him to update to GE 6.8.1.0 and update again. He told me that he got an error when trying to update the watch from 6.8.1.0. A few days later he came back to thread telling me that he had deleted the EPO.BIN on his watch and then updated from GE. He did not describe any other steps taken to get the update working. Neither did he tell me if removing EPO.BIN had been a necessary step in getting the update working.

So as I said, it is a long shot, but could the corrupt EPO.BIN somehow cause the update of the watch to fail?

It can be easily checked. Just delete the EPO.BIN from the watch (found in the Garmin/RemoteSW folder in my 5X+), and try another update after that. There is not really any risk involved in this since Garmin Connect Mobile will install a new EPO.BIN during sync.

this worked for me.
  • Try the following:

1) format SD card and use 16 kilobytes allocation size for FAT32 (i used a windows 10 machine and 16GB microSD card)

2) stop all your downloads before starting the update

3) stop your antivirus before starting the update

One (or more) of the actions above solved the problem for me (not sure which one).