This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Running Garmin Express on Linux

Has anyone managed to run "Garmin Express" on Linux (through "wine" maybe)? If so, can you please post the instructions to do so?

Thanks!

PS: along the same lines, @garmin_developers: please consider open sourcing the app so that others can port it to Linux. If the marketing people don't want (it's *always* them!), please try to convince them with the following arguments:

1) Open sourcing brings product awareness.
2) Developers over the world will add new features for free!
3) Open source advocates tend to be very passionate and will push your product in new unexpected markets.
4) The more open a platform is, the easier an ecosystem on top of it is to emerge. A richer ecosystem means better apps, more clients, more money for you to buy a yatch!

:)
  • Why is Garmin not embracing the LINUX Communicator? It seems like a no brainer - community supported software that works with Garmin.

I have been happily using the LINUX Communicator for 2+ years. It works great.

Now Garmin have turned off support as of yesterday.

This is very disappointing. :mad:

Note to Garmin - I will NOT be using Windows or Mac. I do not own machines running those operating systems, and I do not want to own one.

I will continue to be using Ubuntu. It is the operating system I trust and has the least threat profile to Garmin's own internal systems.

I will base my future purchases of devices based off that need. You may want to consider this and the millions of other LINUX users that think similarly worldwide.
  • agingbrit

I am sorry, but Garmin has never supported Linux for its software. We aren't provided an exact reason why our developers have chosen to avoid Linux, but here are a few possible reasons:
    • Linux is "open-source" software.
      • There are many different versions of Linus such as Red-hat, Ubuntu, Mint Linux, Corel Linux, etc. Each version would need its own variation of the software.
      • People modify Linux systems so there is no "standard" even within each version.
    • All versions of Linux combined hold less than 2% of the market at the time of this post.
    • It is difficult to design all-in-one packages for Linux. Windows and Mac have systems designed to automatically manage installer packages. Linux does not have this functionality encoded.
    • Linux is designed to be customizable and free. This means much of the code must be done by the individual user.
    Hopefully this information helps give some ideas why our designers may have chosen to avoid Linux.

If you would like to see Linux support in the future, I recommend sharing it on our Garmin Ideas webpage. Ideas submitted here are read directly by the designers. If it is determined there is a need for the suggestion, it may be implemented.

Again, I am sorry for any inconvenience this causes you.

Dave
  • Really, no answers? After 7 year I switched back from Ubuntu to Windows 10 because it came with the laptop and it made Garmin live easier. Montana 680t and Fenix 5...

I HATE windows, it's so full of bugs.

So, how can you best manage your Garmin devices under Linux/Ubuntu?
    I really want my life back ;)
  • Heck, I'd be thrilled if they found a way to run it straight from any type of web browser, then I could just hook it up to my Chromebook.
  • I Want too Garmin Express for Linux
  • I have 2 garmin devices, and just lloking after a new fenix 5X zapphire, but I'm using Linux. I also wan't to use garmin express under linux. I can't manage the wifi networks on the device, I can't try the new applications, I have to find a PC with Windows or a Mac. Not cool. A must use the my phone to do sync, and wait a lot of time. I don't like the continous Bluetooth connection because I walking in my office and leave my phone on my desk but the watch is on me. Every time a get the alert Bluetooth is disconected...etc. I need the linux version of this thing. My colegues also using linux. (5 persons).
  • I can live with having to use Windoze once i a while to update maps and firmware. What I really miss, is a Basecamp similar application on Linux, as I use this more often than Garmin Express.

What BC like options do we have on Linux? I gave Viking a try some time ago, but it couldn't even show a map, so I didn't spend much time with it.
  • What BC like options do we have on Linux? I gave Viking a try some time ago, but it couldn't even show a map, so I didn't spend much time with it.

The default map no longer works. If you change the default to something else, it works fine. Right click on 'Default Map' on the Layers sidebar, select Properties, then change the Map Type on the dropdown menu.

It looks like all of them except the OpenStreetMap ones work. I'm currently using the CalTopo USGS one.

---Edit---
    Actually, the above only changes it for that session. To change it permanently, you need to go into the preferences menu under Edit on the menu bar.
  • Reviving this topic.. is there anyone who has Express running under Wine? I received a partial update of my FR935 that supposedly can only be completed by using Garmin Express, and there hasn't been any Microsoft or Apple OS in my life since the last century. Don't have a license for Windows, so running in Virtualbox is not an option either.
    ..borrowing a laptop was the solution this time, but I totally prefer a solution on Linux.
  • i started to use ubuntu with 7.10 version!!!!
    NO ONE SOLUTION FOR GARMIN
    i don't want to use garmin with wine, i'm looking for a specific linux program.
    at this moment no solution, 11 years of search....