This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SD card not detected by Express

I just bought a Garmin Drivesmart 60LMT over the weekend and after installing all the updates using Garmin Express. The device storage is reporting 93% full and it suggests to purchase a memory card. So I did and bought a 32GB Sandisk but when I inserted it to the GPS device Garmin express doesn't report it. This is confusing as I ended up returning the GPS to best buy for an exchange. The exchange GPS did the same thing meaning the external micro SD card is not showing on the Garmin express. And yes the micro SD card is formatted to FAT32 and also tried different brand of micro SD(samsung 32GB) taken from my Cell phone just to see if Garmin Express detects it. It is still doesn't detect it for whatever reason. Windows(win 10) explorer is showing both the Garmin internal storage and the 32 Micro Sd card so I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with my USB connection. I also tried the same process using both desktop and laptop but to no avail. I was pretty determined to return it today as my reason to buy a new one was my old GPS (different brand with lifetime map support) has run out of space and if this new GPS is reporting 93% full but if Garmin express doesn't see it then main reason of buying a new one is useless. So today I chatted with a garmin customer support and he told me that Garmin express will not report the external micro SD card but if in future updates if Garmin Express detects it needs more space then it will automatically use the external micro SD card. I guess this is really confusing as I initially interpreted this as adefect on the GPS device and hopefully in future updates Garmin express will report both external and internal storage so people will know micro SD port on the GPS device is working. As it is today there is no way of knowing if a brand new garmin GPS can read a brand new micro sd.
  • Garmin Express not detecting micro sd card part 2

This is part 2 of my post with regards to Garmin Express not detecting or recognizing an external micro sd card. I don't think it is true that when Garmin express detects it needs more space to install additional items it will automatically install it to an external micro sd card even though it doesn't see it. This applies to Garmin Drivesmart 60 LMT(brand new unit) and not sure if it applies to other models. Anyway as I reported in my first post earlier after the initial install of maps, Garmin express reported that my internal storage(or main storage) is already 93% full and it suggested to buy a micro SD card(32GB card sandisk) which I did. So today I tried to install more language files in such a manner that the files I selected will exceed what is left in the main storage. When I did this Garmin Express reported it is unable to install updates which I suspect that the unit already run out of internal storage space and eventually fails to update. I tried this on 2 computers and another 32GB micro sd card from samsung. If there is an issue with compatibility with micro sd card, nothing is mentioned whatsoever in any posts I read or from Garmin. This particular model can take up to 64GB micro sd card so I'm not sure why it doesn't detect 2 different brands of micro sd card. My desktop doesn't have problem detecting this card. I'm very suprised as this usb port are standard HW protocol. I will have to return this unit to best buy Monday for a refund unless somebody from Garmin can figure out a resolution fast. This really defeats my purpose of buying a new GPS as my old one(non-garmin brand) has run out of storage space and doesn't support a micro sd or sd card. If the resolution is to format the microsd card to fat32 or use another computer, I've already done this!! Maybe in the future I'll reconsider getting a Garmin once this issue is fixed.
    On the other hand, if Garmin express really sees an external micro sd card but it just doesn't report it why not add it as a Garmin Express feature? This is probably a simple change in software as GE already sees the card but not report it. I just don't buy this argument. If there are other people out there who bought this same model over the holidays I would like to hear from them if they were able to get it to recognize a micro sd and what brand of micro sd card.
  • Voice files will not install to SD card but map files will.

If you want to convince yourself that the card is being recognized, change the DriveSmart from MTP mode to mass storage mode (just Google it and you will find out how). Now when you plug your Garmin into the computer, it should show up as two drive letters ... one for internal storage and one for the SD card.

After doing this, if you want to further prove that the card is recognized, create folder \POI on the card, run Garmin's POI Loader and install some custom POI's into that folder. Now when you start up the device, you should be able to find the custom POI's under Where To > Categories > Custom POI's.
  • You're over thinking this. Express will use the card if it needs to, but it won't tell you one is installed. I've used Garmins for many years and it really isn't an issue.
  • You're over thinking this. Express will use the card if it needs to, but it won't tell you one is installed. I've used Garmins for many years and it really isn't an issue.

Of course I have to really over think and make sure this works. I write sofware programs to test semiconductor chips for a living. Shouldn't you make sure the memory card USB port works before you are out of warranty or when you need it most? If there was documentation that came with the device explaining this then I would have just ignored it but unfortunately there was none. I'm sorry to be very concern about this as this is the main reason I bought a new one to be able to upgrade the map with an external card. Besides this is my first Garmin GPS so I'm not sure how everything works yet. I'm just very surprise that Garmin Express wouldn't report it if already knows the card is there. I wouldn't think it would be hard to add this feature software wise.
  • Voice files will not install to SD card but map files will.

If you want to convince yourself that the card is being recognized, change the DriveSmart from MTP mode to mass storage mode (just Google it and you will find out how). Now when you plug your Garmin into the computer, it should show up as two drive letters ... one for internal storage and one for the SD card.

After doing this, if you want to further prove that the card is recognized, create folder \POI on the card, run Garmin's POI Loader and install some custom POI's into that folder. Now when you start up the device, you should be able to find the custom POI's under Where To > Categories > Custom POI's.

Appreciate for your quick response. Here is an update.
    The first item when I changed the drivesmart from MTP mode to mass storage mode, the computer detects 2 drives as expected.

Second item, created a small custom POI using basecamp and named it as "MySampleCustomPOI.gpx" and saved it in a folder in my computer(named it as Garmin_POI). Created a directory "POI" on the card and run POI loader to install the custom POI as you suggested. For whatever reason when I loaded the custom POI into the memory card, it created a \Garmin\POI in the memory card with a file called "Garmin_POI.gpi" in it. This was the directory name that I created in my computer. It also created a file "Id.txt" in the memory card( a bunch of hex numbers) in this file. Hence you might not need to create a \POI directory in the card. Boot up the GPS and it asked me if I wanted to install a custom POI(not exactly sure what the exact message was) and selected "yes". This is where my next question is when I looked at the main storage space there was a directory called POI and inside this POI there were 2 files, one is Garmin_POI.gpi and USCanadaCyclopsSample.gpi. The latter was already there to start with. Wouldn't this use up the internal storage if the file was just copied from the micro sd card to the internal storage? I guess my initially question of the micro sd not being detected is answered with this test procedure as I can see the custom POI I created as you mentioned above. However wouldn't this present another issue where if the internal storage is 100% use and somebody is trying to install a custom POI? Maybe I did it wrong or answered not to install a custom POI when I booted up the device.
    Anyway thank you for your post and I'm now less worried with the micro SD concern than before.
  • Great. Glad you now happy. Since this rarely worries anyone else and your other queries aren't Express related I'll close this thread.

For any further device issues you have please contact Product Support or try http://forums.gpsreview.net/categories/garmin-auto-forum-garmin-nuvi-forum as there are no forums here that cover the Drive range.
  • I have a 3597. It was the first Garmin GPS I liked and am keeping it. It does what i need it to do. I too was struggling with Micro SD card. This morning I did reformat it to FAT32 and did a full format vs a quick one. It is a Samsung 16GB left over out of a camera. Turned of GPS and put the card in until it clicked. I used Garmin Express and saw that the GPS was 89% full and did not use the Micro SD card. I decided to reload the map to see if it would utilize it and it did. When I started to reload the map it asked me if it should use the Micro SD and then started to use it. So I think too that that card will be used once the GPS needs is.