This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Multiple simultaneous updates?

I have five units that I keep up to date when new maps come out. Is there any way to get the software to allow updating multiple units at the same time? It's an awful waste of time to do it serially.
  • If the units are the same it shouldn't do the map download multiple times but it will reassemble the downloaded files into the map for each unit.

If the units are different, you have many maps to download.
  • I don't see what that has to do with what I'm asking. What I want to know is whether or not there's any way to get the software to update multiple units at the same time, or get the program to run multiple instances so I can do one-at-a-time multiple times simultaneously.
  • Aha - so your issue is that whilst the map only gets downloaded once (instead of multiple times), Express can't cope with updating multiple devices attached to the computer at the same time?

Given the time it seems to take to assemble the map image from the download, I guess processing power plays a part here - along with the combined throughput to the USB subsystem and also there probably aren't too many people who have multiple identical units to update as you do (so they keep 99.9% of people happy and really tick you off :))
  • If the map on all your units is the same you should be able to copy the main map file from one unit to all the rest, and then simply download the relevant unlock codes. If that would help you then either google for how to do that or ask here.
  • TrueThanny,

There is no way to update multiple devices at the same time on Garmin Express. That being said, as mentioned, if the maps are the same version you will only need to download the maps for the first device. The maps will be cached to repackage for another device with the same map version. You cannot copy and paste an image from the one device to another because of the way the maps are packaged with their unlock file. It is created by Garmin Express during the map update. Also, some devices will have additional files that are specific to that device during an update such Junction View files and voice recognition files. For this reason, you will need to update each device individually in Garmin Express. After the first device is updated, the next devices should skip most of the download stage.

Ryan