This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Forerunner 305 won't sync

Firstly, I've had a search and found a whole lot of posts with a similar theme. There doesn't seem to be a really recent one though and so I was hoping to get an up to date answer. If there is an existing solution out there, please point me towards it.

I've been happily using and syncing a forerunner 225 for a while, but recently got my old 305 out again to use for it's cycling mode. I have a windows 10 laptop to which the cradle is connected via USB. When I put the unit on the cradle it always charges, but doesn't sync. Sometimes connecting and reconnecting, wriggling the unit, and even licking the contacts seems to have triggered a sync, but none of these are working now.

Things I've tried:
  • Different computers (only got windows 10 alternatives)
  • Uninstalling and reinstalling Garmin Express
  • Updating USB drivers
  • Looking for classic mode in Garmin Connect (has is been disabled?)
  • Different USB ports
  • Different USB cables

What I'd like to know is if there is anything else I can try and if not, is it worth getting a new cradle on eBay? Or is the unit old and unsupported so I need to just give up.

Thanks in advance.
  • I use a FR305 for cycling and also used to have syncing problems.

I do 2 things and never have issues these days.

• I make sure only the last activity is on the watch. If a previously synced activity is still on the watch, more times than not, the sync does not happen.
    • I attach the watch to the clip first and make sure it's secure. Then I attach it to the usb port. I find that the clip is finicky if I try to do it the other way.

I'm using Windows 10 also but not the Anniversary edition yet.
  • This is a product that was discontinued years ago. Don't hold your breath.

Did you try what I suggested in post #2?
    Like I said, I never have sync issues by following those steps.
    I'm running windows 10 BTW and the USB driver works fine.
  • Firstly, thanks for all the replies and I'm sorry for taking so long to reply myself. I've been on holiday and then it's was a while before I went out riding and had cause to think about syncing my 305.

I use a FR305 for cycling and also used to have syncing problems.

I do 2 things and never have issues these days.

• I make sure only the last activity is on the watch. If a previously synced activity is still on the watch, more times than not, the sync does not happen.
    • I attach the watch to the clip first and make sure it's secure. Then I attach it to the usb port. I find that the clip is finicky if I try to do it the other way.

I'm using Windows 10 also but not the Anniversary edition yet.

Using this method I seem to be able to sync after about five failed attempts, which is much better than before :). As another poster said though, it's an old and unsupported device so I guess I should probably start saving up for something newer. An Edge or a Forerunner with multisport like the 735.
  • I had to retire my FR305 because the battery was shot. Although there are youtube videos about how to change the battery, the rubber on the side of the watch was worn out so the buttons were being held by scotch tape. It was time.

I bought a refurb FR910XT and have it set up almost exactly like the FR305. Since it's a refurb of a watch that was replaced by FR920XT, I didn't have to save up very much to afford it. In fact, I paid the same price for the 910XT as I paid for the FR305 10 years ago at Costco. If you like your FR305, I suggest you take a look. I bought mine at GPSCity.
  • I have been having similar problems connecting my FR305 to my Windows 10 computer.  I have always done it, for years, with Training Center.  I just bought a new computer, and after getting all the software installed it would not connect.  I checked and do have the last driver from Garmin.  (It displays as 2.3.1.0 4/19/2012.  I updated to version 2.3.1.2 from the Garmin website, but it still displayed as 2.3.1.0.  Go figure.) 

So here's what finally worked for me.  I tried running Training Center, and it would not connect.  I then ran Garmin Express, which seems to be what Garmin is pushing these days.  It would not connect either.  Then, still in Garmin Express, I clicked on the Garmin Connect button ("View your activities on Garmin Connect").  It immediately connected, and it automatically uploaded my morning bike ride to Strava.  Hopefully this trick will continue to work, and it wasn't a one-time fluke.

• I have also new computer.  I updated the driver to version 2.3.1.2,  but I also deleted all activities on my FR305 except the current month as someone had suggested.  It works now.  Often in the past did I need to plug and unplug several times to connect to FR305.

• So I have the same problem but have figured a workaround (I think, works for me so far). When you want to sync plug in cradle with watch mounted (attached to cradle). Now open Garmin express, now and again it will connect, if so great but if not do this. Whilst watch is still connected to pc via cradle and garmin express open do a soft reset ie hold down mode and lap (reset) for 10 secs, release and wait for a few seconds.... The watch should now connect. If you are having syncing issues after this just close Garmin express and open again.  Works for me and saves me buying a new watch... For now

• Thanks a lot!! This actually worked for me after trying for hours to get it connected. Having this watch for more than 10 years and I hope to last another few years. I just have to manually synchronize my activities from garmin training center to garmin connect.

• That worked miracles for me, thanks so much man!