This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't launch Garmin Express after install

Hi I have been having the same problem while trying to install Garmin Express for some time. I have been downloading the most recent version from 'software.garmin.com/.../express.html'. After I install it says that it has 'successfully installed' however when I click the 'Launch Garmin Express' button nothing happens. Also if I click the desktop shortcut nothing happens. If I search it in windows and run as administrator I get the error attached. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling countless times over the last few months however the same problem persists. I have also tried 'support.garmin.com/.../case.faces.

Can you please help to resolve this issue as this is a new replacement device and I can not present update anything and the device currently resets itself everytime I turn it on.

I have Windows 10

Regards
Ryan Hawes
  • RyanHawes

I am sorry for the troubles getting Garmin Express to launch. Please see the information in the FAQ below.

Why does Garmin Express for Windows fail to launch when I run it?
    https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={53344c20-5291-11e5-7876-000000000000}

If you continue to have troubles contact Product Support by phone.

Curt
  • Still not working

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.
    I had previously tried this before but it made no difference, I've tried again now anyway but when I click the shortcut I just get the error message.
    Is it possible to request a phone call from Garmin Support as I live in Ireland and the calls are expensive. I have already spent over £20 in the last two weeks calling Garmin Support when my replacement device was sent to the wrong address.

Regards
    Ryan
  • RyanHawes]

The error that you are getting when you try to run the application from the exe is most likely caused by malware. There are applications referred to as "Rogue Malware" that cause your applications to launch a different application when you open them. Once the malware is removed, you get these errors. To resolve this issue, the registry key that tells Windows to launch the missing malware must be removed.

Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require Windows to be reinstalled. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

First, make a backup of the registry:
    • Press the Windows Key + R
    • Type regedit and click OK
    • Right-click Computer
    • Click Export
    • Type a name for your backup and choose a location
    • Click Save

At this point, Registry Editor will stop responding until the backup is complete (this may take about a minute or more depending on the speed of your computer). Once Registry Editor starts responding again, you can delete the affected key:
    • Expand Computer
    • Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    • Expand SOFTWARE
    • Expand Microsoft
    • Expand Windows NT
    • Expand CurrentVersion
    • Expand Image File Execution Options
    • If present, Right-click Express.exe , choose delete and confirm
    • If present, Right-click GarminService.exe, choose delete and confirm
    • If present, Right-click GarminTray.exe, choose delete and confirm
    • Close Registry Editor
    • Try running Express again

If this doesn't solve the problem, it would be best to visit a computer repair person as this error message is not a Garmin Express error. If you are double-clicking a file and Windows says the file doesn't exist, this is a Windows problem.

Jason
  • Hi Everyone, I installed express on my laptop running windows 10 then copied the whole garmin file to the PC (which wouldnt run) problem solved.

• On a new computer with Windows 11 Garmin Express did not start even for me.
    The unboxed laptop ruled out the presence of viruses 99%.
    I checked the first driver installation, then Garmin Express started, I describe the solution in the post: "Garmin Express 7.11.0.0 not start (HP Omen 17 RTX3080)".
    Hope you can solve