This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express High CPU Usage and Not Closing Properly - WIN7 Pro 64-bit

Hi -

I've noticed that GE is causing my PC to use much more CPU time than normal - as soon as GE starts, the CPU usage jumps from its normal level of say 2% or 3% up to around 25%, and it stays there until I restart the system. I've seen on this forum and others that GE has a reputation as a resource hog and of coming into conflict with other programs such as anti-virus packages, but I haven't read anything about it failing to close properly.

If I look at the lists of applications and processes in Task Manager while GE is running, the entry for GE itself shows that it's using less than 1% of CPU time, and there's nothing else to indicate what might be causing the high readings, but the CPU usage stays stubbornly high - typically, two of the four cores run at 50%, sometimes swapping between cores, but overall never dropping below an average of around 25%. If I close GE, it appears to remove itself from the list of active applications, but the CPU usage stays at 25%. I'm satisfied that this isn't some kind of false reading on the part of Task Manager, because I can feel the processor getting hot and I can hear the fan running harder. I've removed any non-essential programs from the startup list.

Any ideas? The workaround is obviously not to use GE unnecessarily and to restart the PC immediately each time, but it's a shame not to be able to use GE to its full potential, as otherwise the current version seems to be pretty reliable.

Thanks -
  • ashleyknow

I am sorry that you are having trouble with Garmin Express. To determine what is causing the high CPU usage when running Express, it would be best to contact Product Support by phone.

In addition to the Garmin Express process, there is also a service (GarminService.exe) that runs in the background. You will not see this process in Task Manager unless you click "Show processes from all users." If you quit Garmin Express by right-clicking the Tray icon and choosing Quit, you will be prompted to choose whether to leave this service running or not.

You can also go into Settings (the gear icon at the top of Express) and uncheck "Always keep Garmin Express running in the background" and the service will shut down anytime you close the Express window. However, you should be able to keep this running without using the resources that you describe so it would be best to contact us so that we can see if we can determine what the cause of the high CPU usage is.

Jason
  • Jason - Ok, that's helpful - thank you. I'd missed the point about checking "Show processes from all users", so I've done that and now I can see exactly what's monopolising the CPU. I've also noticed more precisely the point at which the usage goes up.

This is what i can see: Opening GE takes a while, but it doesn't in itself cause high CPU usage. When I plug in my Garmin, though, and GE starts to sync, CPU usage climbs quickly to 25% and stays there. The process that's actually having the headache is not, in fact, GarminService.exe but Trend Micro's coreServiceShell.exe - to be clear, this service sits at essentially 0% CPU usage until GE starts to sync, and from that time on goes to 25% and stays there until the computer is restarted.

So, there must be some sort of conflict between GE and Trend Micro. Does that make it their problem, or Garmin's? I can't say for sure, but I can tell you that I've used Trend Micro for five years on three different computers supporting dozens of applications, and this is the first time I've had an issue with it. I'm pretty sure that previous versions of GE didn't have this problem, either, so it seems that there's something about the current release of GE that either puts Trend Micro into a loop (unlikely, as you'd expect an anti-malware system to be pretty good at avoiding being crashed by other programs!) or results in something being left on the computer after a sync that Trend Micro interprets as a threat ... Not trying to be technically accurate here, but you see where I'm heading. Does that suggest more clearly what might be happening?
  • ashleyknow

I sent you a private message.

Lisa
  • Any chance you could send me a private message, too, regarding this problem, please? Or reply here? I'm having exactly the same problem, although I think my conflict is with AVG. Also, I don't have any other Garmin process running at all if i look at check "Show processes from all users". The only way I can speed up my computer (Windows 7) and reduce the CPU and cooling fan usage is to end the Garmin Express process.  Any ideas?

• Ran into the same problem with Express... takes my laptop from 4% to 100 almost instantly.  Changing the setting to not run in the background does the trick as a workaround.  

• There is another active thread in the Express forum about WmiPrvSE.exe (Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Provider Host). It consumes a minimum of 7% and as much as 35% cpu at all times Express is running. Turning off Express fixes the issue.

This needs to be reported to customer care.

• Same problem, I drove me crazy all day. Had to uninstall or my laptop was going to meltdown.