How to delete old device from basecamp?

I'm using basecamp 4.4.6. It shows two devices, my current unit and my previous unit, which I no longer have. Because of various problems I'm having using basecamp, I want to delete my previous unit from basecamp and everywhere else. I'm using Windows 8.1.

I found a previous forum post which said to remove a file named GarminDevice.XML. I can't find any file by that name. I can't find the path given in that forum post. (Yes, I told File Explorer to show all hidden items.)

I uninstalled basecamp and the garmin drivers. I deleted all files and folders with 'garmin' anywhere in the name. I deleted all files and folders with 'basecamp' anywhere in the name. I reinstalled the latest version of basecamp. Basecamp still shows 2 devices.

What do I do now?
  • I backed up my nuvi using Garmin Express and did a master reset to my nuvi as you suggested. I reinstalled BaseCamp 4.4.6. I did NOT restore files from the backup to the nuvi. I rebooted my computer, just to be safe. I plugged the nuvi into USB. I could read files in the nuvi using File Explorer.

I started BaseCamp. BaseCamp initially recognized my nuvi (see image BaseCamp1)

I told BaseCamp to send a waypoint to my nuvi. It failed. (see images BaseCamp2 and BaseCamp3)

I then found my File Explorer window not responding. When I succeeded in closing my File Explorer window, the nuvi display blanked out and restarted the process to link up with my computer.

By the way, yesterday I tried going back to BaseCampLegacy 4.2.5. It won't even run on my PC. It gives the following error statement when I try to start it:

App: BaseCamp
    At: 4/19/2015 5:19:50 PM (UTC-5)
    Processor: x86, Processor Level: 21, Processors:2, Model: 1 Stepping: 2, RAM: 16725516
    WIN_REGKEY.CPP-787-4.2.5.0
    Reg name: 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Garmin\BaseCamp\Settings\LastCheckForUpdate'; Windows Error Code: 234
    More data is available.

Active Map Product:
    Unknown

Installed Map Products:

Map Name: Global Map (Garmin Product)
    Map Id: 133758977
    Map Version: 2.0
    Map Type: Bundle
    Custom Drawn Map: No
    Digital Elevation Model: No

.NET Versions:
    .NET FW 1.0 not installed.
    .NET FW 1.1 not installed.
    .NET FW 2.0 with SP2 installed
    .NET FW 3.0 with SP2 installed
    .NET FW 3.5 with SP1 installed

OpenGL Version: OpenGL Version Unknown

Now what?
  • Your first image shows that Basecamp is still loading the map from your nuvi (green progress bar under "gmapprom". Let it complete this operation before you try to send something to the nuvi. It may take several minutes to load the map the first time ... should go much faster the next time you start Basecamp.
  • Adbuck is correct and it's what I pointed out in post #7, it explains why Basecamp appears to you to be 'locking up'.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 9 years ago
    If the Nuvi 55 (USA map) was reset, it may not work properly again until it is driven a mile or two with good satellite reception to restart the "out of box" experience.

Although I had previously decided to refrain from giving BaseCamp 4.4.6 another shot at my Nuvi 56 (USA+Canada maps), which does work fine for my purposes as a standalone device, I did locate a mini-USB cable and plug the Nuvi 56 into the computer again. It immediately started downloading the latest installed maps from the device to BaseCamp, even though BaseCamp already contained that version of the maps. I let the download continue to completion, which took several minutes.
  • Note its not downloading the map, simply indexing it.
  • My wife used the newly reset nuvi today for a trip of 20+ miles. When she returned I plugged it in and started BaseCamp. I waited for the bar under 'gmapprom to go fully green. I then tried to send a waypoint to the nuvi's internal memory. It failed. BaseCamp said it couldn't write to either Current.gpx or temp.gpx.

I then created a route in BaseCamp and attempted to send the route and its waypoints to the nuvi. BaseCamp crashed and Windows closed it out.

I restarted BaseCamp (again) and waited for the the bar under 'gmapprom to go fully green (again). I could read the nuvi's internal storage, which consists of three Garmin waypoints and today's Active Log. I tried to send a waypoint to user memory in the nuvi. It failed with the message "An error occurred while sending the following file(s): Garmin/GPX/Waypoints.gpx.

BTW: When I restarted BaseCamp after its crash, the route I had previously created was missing.

Any ideas?
  • Sorry no. Think this may require the Basecamp developers to chime in. One pops in here regularly. I believe there have been issues with some of the latest '2 digit' nuvis so this may be related.
  • How much free space do you have on your 55LM internal storage?
  • Garmin Express reports 1.39 GB free. The 8 GB SD card 20 KB used.