This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problem converting track to route in Basecamp

BaseCamp 4.3.3 has a problem when converting a track to a route. A track with multiple points is converted to a straight line route with only two points. Reinstalled BaseCamp 4.3.3 today and still have same problem. Can this be fixed please or at least supply a previous version of BaseCamp so we can produce accurate routes please.
  • The track to route algorithm will do it's best to find nearby roads. If it cannot find a nearby road within about 50 meters of a track point, it will produce what you have seen. It only works with road navigation types of routes, like driving or motorcycling. The image posted appears to be off road. Also if you wish to use the older system, you can choose direct profile, and create a route from the track. This will produce the dialog you have seen in the past. I would be able to take a look at the track you are having trouble with though if you would be willing to export the track to a gpx file and attach it to an e-mail and send to [email][email protected][/email]. I hope this answers your questions.
  • I am having a similar problem. I sent a support email earlier today with details and sample files. Hopefully someone can take a look at it. It works on v4.2.2 but on v4.3.5 it will not work.

I tried to do do the direct profile, but unless i am not doing something right, it does not work either.

I convert track to route. The track has 40 points, only thing to get converted is start and end point which shows as a straight line. I only get option to route using the direct profile after I convert. By then it is too late because i lost the various points.

I provided more info in the email .. Case 130594.

Thanks,
    Michael

EDIT: I found out how to convert using the Direct method.... is there a reason why the new way does not work, but direct does?
  • Same here. I have new PC and can't use it for Basecamp because when I try to convert tracks to routes it no longer prompts for the Track Conversion Options. I am looking at both PCs right now using a copy of the same track. The older one (V 4.2.5)prompts for the number of points i want. The new one (V 4.3.4) doesn't and only gives me 2 points. It's unusable.
  • That's not quite true. It certainly will work if you select the Direct activity profile, but it will also work when you have other activity profiles selected. However it won't work with those other profiles if the map selected doesn't allow the route to be created. So it's a combination of map and activity profiles.
  • I am experiencing the same problem - kind of.

On my Mac base camp (version 4.3.4) , I have tried to convert a track into a route and got a straight line from the start to the finish points. Transferred the track to a windows computer with base camp (4.3.5) and tried it there - it did it properly.

Something that will be fixed in 4.3.5 of the Mac Basecamp?
  • You'll get more attention to Mac related issues in the Mac-BaseCamp thread. But, with respect to your post, it sounds like you don't have a routable map selected on your Mac-BaseCamp.
  • I have the same problem, base camp 4,3,4 on mac, create route from track, produces a direct line between star an finish point...???? (zumo 390)
    as somebody a solution..?

Maurice
  • Please post your query in the Mac Basecamp forum.
  • My understanding is that after converting a track to a route, it will by default select a direct route (i.e. the straight line), but you can better (in advance) select the correct profile, and check the SETTINGS for that profile first.
    As these settings will be used while recalculating the route.

Personally, I didn't really like the recalculation mode, as I'm always driving the very small roads... and the calculated route is often deviating from the actually followed original track info.
    So I looked around, and found that you better use an external tool like the JaVaWa RTW tool.
    You don't have to export/import as it supports output to the clipboard, where you can simply paste the whole converted routes into a (new or existing) list in Basecamp.
    I used a similar tool WinGDB3 (from Sackman.info).
    When you search on google for 'route conversion tool' I'm sure you will find something to your likings.
  • We are very soon releasing a number of routing improvements. Thanks for all the feedback!