This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Missing Waypoints after importing gdb files

I imported 8 routes from basecamp into my 2460. With Trip Planner being their desired destination.

Of those 7 imported perfectly and for some odd reason, one will not no matter what I try.

The one that will not import properly appears fine on the map in Basecamp. When I create a route, it looks fine and everything looks perfect.

However, after sending it to the device, only the first and last waypoints are in the trip planner.

I have gone back, reconnected my device to the computer several times, deleted everything I could find on the device (GPS) related to that trip
and re-routed the segment several times yet it always comes back into the GPS missing all but the first and last waypoints.

Is there anything in general I could look for?

Is there a way to view the raw files in Basecamp to see if there are problems with the data?

This one has me stumped so far.

UPDATE:
On the device, all the waypoints get imported into Favorites, but NOT into the trip planner.
The Travel time for the broken route which is only 21.5 miles claims it will take 1 hour and 10 minutes to drive that 21 miles?
In Basecamp, the details for the route correctly show ALL the waypoints, driving instructions etc. It seems the problem is outside of Basecamp.
  • Are you using the same map in Basecamp and on your GPS? Also are by any chance the waypoints in that route set to do not alert? If they are they won't show in trip planner although you will see them if you try to edit the route on your GPS.
  • Are you using the same map in Basecamp and on your GPS? Also are by any chance the waypoints in that route set to do not alert? If they are they won't show in trip planner although you will see them if you try to edit the route on your GPS.

Same map. When I coonect the GPS to the computer, it THEN loads the map from the GPS into the PC. Other wise (when not connected) there is only the Generic Map.

I have not seen nor changed any alert settings for any waypoints.

If I try to edit the route, there are no additional waypoints to edit. In fact NO waypoints show up even though the entire route shows on the map. It's just the magenta route with the green begin flag and the end checkered flag. No waypoints on the route at all. It's as if all the actual route detail information was stripped away leaving only the nagenta route lines.

After spending considerable time with a Garmin technician today, no apparent cause was found. However, I emailed the gpx file to the technician and he was able to load the same file into another device and all the waypoints and routes appeared as expected.

At this point, I am leaning toward bad RAM memory on the device.
  • All devices have limits. You may've exceed the waypoint limit, of 1,000, for your 2460.

Waypoints/favorites/locations: 1000

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/nuvi-2460lmt/prod87052.html#specsTab

BaseCamp (or any other software) has no way to check any limits. That is something the user has to do.

Some models will show an error message when a limit is exceeded while others won't.

You need to determine how many waypoints/favorites/locations you have loaded in your 2460 and ensure it is <= 1,000.
  • All devices have limits. You may've exceed the waypoint limit, of 1,000, for your 2460.
    You need to determine how many waypoints/favorites/locations you have loaded in your 2460 and ensure it is <= 1,000.

I have hard reset the unit, cleared all user data.
    Then loaded nothing but this very small route.
    There are only 8 waypoints. The route is 21 miles long.

However, I have even tried creating an entirely new route in the area in question and it seems I cannot do ANY routes in the area in question (25 mile radius of Dade City, Florida)
    It may be some kind of map error. Checking that with Garmin now.
  • Just spoke with Chantel at Garmin support to ask another question trying to isolate the problem.
    I asked how often she had encountered a device with potential memory issues.
    Quote - Chantel "Memory does not go bad, it's just empty space"

I learned something new today. :D
  • "Memory does not go bad, it's just empty space"

Well my memory "goes bad" from time to time and it may as well be "empty space" :p
  • Well my memory "goes bad" from time to time and it may as well be "empty space" :p

I year ya :)
  • I thought I had found the culprit. But that tuened out not to be the case.

I think this unit is just bad.
  • Interesting. I think my 1490T has a 55 character limit, or thereabouts, for favorite/route/etc names. That said I always enter my own names (I hate "autoname" and am always unticking it in MapSource).
  • This was a recurring problem with Mapsource... and the old Mapsource problem has returned with BC...

That would be easy to confirm by looking at the GPX file created by MapSource/BaseCamp. Waypoints are defined, in the GPX file, by <wpt> </wpt> tags so one can count those. It's a little trickier, but not much, to count the number of waypoints used in a route but it wouldn't be hard to check those too.

It's the first time I've ever heard of MapSource having this issue.