Installing Maps from GPS to Basecamp

Due to a computer crash, I lost the installed Europe map, which was the same as the map installed on the GPS (BMW NAV IV.)

Is there any way of extracting the map from the GPS, and installing it on the computer?

Thanks for any assistance.

Best regards
  • Just use GarminMapUpdater or Garmin Express to reinstall the map on your PC (only).
  • Thanks for giving me hope. However for clarification, the map is rather old would this make a difference? I do not have the GPS to hand so I cannot give you the exact version but I think it is a 2012 edition.
  • Is there any way of extracting the map from the GPS, and installing it on the computer?

No. As Stuart advises, you need to reinstall it. Having done so you might find it useful to backup your maps using JaVaWa's program GMTK, this would save you in future having to redownload a map http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
  • Thanks for giving me hope. However for clarification, the map is rather old would this make a difference? I do not have the GPS to hand so I cannot give you the exact version but I think it is a 2012 edition.

Unfortunately, yes. Maps only remain available for download for a year so unless you have lifetime updates you're out of time. However all is not lost, Garmin's Basecamp program will read the map off your Nav IV provided it's connected to your PC. Alternatively there are ways for Basecamp to use the map when your Nav IV isn't connected, try here for starters https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?35338-Transferring-City-Nav-from-Garmin-to-Basecamp
  • However for clarification, the map is rather old would this make a difference?

Possibly. I'd log into your myGarmin account and go to the Maps tab and click on the details link next to the image of your device. If there a Garmin Express link next to map product name you can probably still get it.
  • I checked myGarmin account and found that I have Europe 2012.20 (Unlocked Sept 2011) not unsurprisingly it recommends purchase of an update to download.

However I tried the Gamin Express, and it gave an option to reinstall the Map. I tried it, and selected on the Computer as an option - it worked.

SUSSAMB, but this is what I meant about extracting the map from the GPS and installing it on the computer.

I am now one reasonably happy camper - just now have to try to restore / recover as much data that I lost on BaseCamp.

Not to anyone reading this - BACK-UP. Back-up often! It saves a major heartache!

Thanks for the info best regards
  • Not to anyone reading this - BACK-UP. Back-up often! It saves a major heartache!

That is rule #1 of anything computer related. Rule #2 is to back to multiple places. Rule #3 says that whatever backups you did missed some file(s) that you really want back :D
  • Great ... Glad it worked for you. Must be something about that map as all mine expire one year after release.
  • RE: SUSSAMB
    My map had expired, and was no longer available to download. This was the cause of my concern, obtaining the map again so it would play nicely with the GPS. Due to Garmin Express it was made easy that it was able to extract the Map from the GPS and install it on the computer. I had not thought it was possible so I am pleasantly surprised at how easily it went.

Re STUARTMW
    I know the value of back-ups, yet this time I assumed it was safely saved on the RAID protected hard Drive - Nope it was stored on the SSD & got wiped. While I lost some of the planning for routes, I have managed to recover most of the tracks, which was more important. Routes & plans can be re-created, but the tracks are harder to replace!

I am just happy that it was as painless & effective as it was, also I have learnt a few new things about BaseCamp that I didn't know previously So there was a silver lining.

Thanks to all who made a contribution.

Best regards
  • RE: SUSSAMB
    My map had expired, and was no longer available to download. This was the cause of my concern, obtaining the map again so it would play nicely with the GPS. Due to Garmin Express it was made easy that it was able to extract the Map from the GPS and install it on the computer. I had not thought it was possible so I am pleasantly surprised at how easily it went.

Express doesn't extract maps from your GPS, the map must have been available on Garmin servers. I've hit this once before when the map was showing as 'Expired' in myMaps, normally though the option to download them does expire after one year.