Switching On/Off Birdseye overlay

I was looking for a way to switch off the Birds Eye view overlay. I can only find a way to select basemap or the topo map...... Anyone?
Diederick
  • Birdseye overlays/maps only show if they're in the currently selected folder/list so if you don't want them to show for some reason simply delete them from that particular folder/list.
  • Exactly. I created one list named "Blank" that doesn't contain any waypoints, tracks, routes or Birdseye. When I just want to look at the map by itself, that's what I use.

-Boyd
  • Birdseye overlays/maps only show if they're in the currently selected folder/list so if you don't want them to show for some reason simply delete them from that particular folder/list.

Exactly. I created one list named "Blank" that doesn't contain any waypoints, tracks, routes or Birdseye. When I just want to look at the map by itself, that's what I use.

-Boyd

I do the same.

But, if you want to see BirdsEye AND some of your waypoints, tracks, routes, photos, etc., you have to make a custom folder/list with only that data in it, each and every time.

FALAGAR, can we please have a BirdsEye toggle in the Map Selection menu or on the Tool Bar?
  • But, if you want to see BirdsEye AND some of your waypoints, tracks, routes, photos, etc., you have to make a custom folder/list with only that data in it, each and every time.

Actually you don't. I have a list with just my Birdseye in. If I want to see waypoints/tracks etc on Birdseye I just drag the appropriate Birdseye file to the list that already contains the data :)

But I agree. A Birdseye toggle would be useful.
  • Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Has this happened at all?

I am now facing the same dilemma - or problem - having just purchased Topo GB Pro maps and playing with them in Basecamp using some old exercises & routes:

Is there any way to toggle BirdsEye layer on and off? As it's trifling inconvenient now that I have it in there?

• Just split what you do want to see and what you don't into different folders and lists. BaseCamp will only show what is in the selected folder or list.

You can also turn BirdsEye off by switching off overlays, see bottom left of the map pane.

• Yeah, spotted it long time ago actually when I couldn't figure out why in certain cases BirdsEye layers show, and in other it does not. Very inconsistent experience.

So, not a great idea to work like that, especially if/when one has numerous devices and their history (trip and road) across >10 years in there - very difficult to browse.

Also, switching overlays switches off Ordnance Survey layer for me as well - leaving some nasty skeleton map underneath...

What's so complicated in getting BirdsEye layer switch implemented?

• No idea but it is what it is I'm afraid.

• Probably not hard, but it would likely apply to all BirdsEye imagery, not just the one of interest.  But as SUSSAMB pointed out, development on BaseCamp has ceased.  At this point, we have to rely on the organizational tools to accomplish a work around.

For those less experienced in BaseCamp, a basic toggle consists of a Folder and  a List.  The BirdsEye imagery and the list go in the folder.  The lists contains routes, tracks etc.  Click on the folder in the upper left pane and you will see the objects in the list and the BirdsEye imagery, click on the list and you will see just the objects in the list.

If you wanted to use the same BirdsEye imagery with multiple lists, you could create a folder with sub folders.  Each sub folder would contain a the same BirdsEye imagery and a list.  This would not be my preference.  I would rather create a temporary workspace.

This workspace would consist of a folder, say "Toggle", and a "Scatch" list.  I would then drag the BirdsEye imagery to the "Toggle" folder.  I would have the option of dragging a list in the upper left pane to the "Scratch" list or objects from one or more lists in the lower left pane to the "Scratch" list.  After completing my task,  I would send any new objects to the appropriate list, then Remove the objects in the :"Scratch" list and the BirdsEye imagery from "Toggle" folder to clean up the workspace until I need it again

Yes a toggle would be better, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  

• Probably not hard, but it would likely apply to all BirdsEye imagery, not just the one of interest. 

But that's exactly what's needed and would be most beneficial - so one can toggle between track, map and the imagery as needed.

Such elementary thing - and please note that this thread is >7 years old and nothing has changed since.

But as SUSSAMB pointed out, development on BaseCamp has ceased. 

It's not written here explicitly though (as per the other post I just found, must have missed it):

support.garmin.com/.../

But with the widespread nonsense of pushing content to back some mystical cloud which is owned by supplier (the content, that is), it would not surprise me at all.

Also whilst being here, Garmin Explore neither supports Oregon nor Edge it seems? So it's not heading in the good direction at all...