where does Basecamp store its data?

Can anyone help?

I have Basecamp on my Laptop and PC, I'd like to keep the two synchronised but I can't find where Basecamp stores its data files.

Which files would I need to keep everything in sync with my latest routes/tracks etc.

thanks

Bob
  • Simplest way is to do a File, Backup then a File, Restore I think.

Having said that I just copy the databases ... and you can now decide where to keep the databases if you're running 4.2.2 ... Edit, Options, Database Options
  • Default BC database location.

C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Garmin\BaseCamp (WinXP)

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp (Vista, Win7, Win8)
  • Get a DropBox or Google Drive account (both are free), using BC 4.2.2 you can specify where your database is kept, put it on your DropBox or Google Drive. Do this for both your PC and LT and they will be using the same database. Side benefit is you database will be backed up to the cloud.
  • OK I have Dropbox on my 2 computers. Where do I get to specify where the database is stored?
  • Thanks for reply SUSSAMB. I was hoping to avoid having to create a backup every time I make any changes to BC on machine and then having to restore from backup whenever I used PC #2.

Reading #4 I was hoping to just change the location of the database to my Dropbox folder.

RELATED I note that the HELP file for 4.2.2 does not give correct information on how to change the location of the database as it starte with instructing me to "click on Utilities".
  • Well I created a folder in Dropbox "Basecamp". Changed the default to the Dropbox folder. I copied my previously made backup file to this folder. Started BaseCamp and tried to restore the backup. I get error message.

"Restore failed The following problems occured: The backup file 'C\users\name\Dropbox\Basecamp 2013-09-08.Backup' is invalid or read only"

So now what?

Mapsource worked much better. I have had nothing but problems with BaseCamp.
  • Well I created a folder in Dropbox "Basecamp". Changed the default to the Dropbox folder. I copied my previously made backup file to this folder. Started BaseCamp and tried to restore the backup. I get error message.

"Restore failed The following problems occured: The backup file 'C\users\name\Dropbox\Basecamp 2013-09-08.Backup' is invalid or read only"

So now what?

Mapsource worked much better. I have had nothing but problems with BaseCamp.

Just guessing here because I have not done this Drop Box thing myself.

You might right click that backup file, then Properties, and make sure that the Read Only box is unchecked.
  • OK, I just tried it two way. First I created a new database on my dropbox called BCTest, BC restarted and the new, blank, database was displayed. I then shutdown BC. Next I went to my existing Basecamp folder and coped all the folders under it. I then pasted them into the new BCTest folder and restarted BC. All came up as expected.

The second method: I changed BC back to the default database and let it restart. I clicked on My Collection and clicked File->Backup. I shutdown BC and deleted everything in the BCTest folder. I restarted BC and changed to the BCTest database and let BC restart. I then clicked on File->Restore and selected the backup I just created. BC restored to the new database and everything came up as expected.

Tireman9, I'd suggest you try making a new backup and try again, something could have happened to your original backup.

Hang in there, BC is much better than Mapsource, it just has a very steep learning curve.