compatibillity of basecamp to Garmin devices

Is there a list of GPS devices that are compatible with Basecamp? Or is it compatible with everything Garmin makes??
  • I think BC works with Automotive and Outdoor models except for

Can I use BaseCamp with my legacy Garmin device?

To my knowledge it does not work with Aviation or (dedicated) Marine models.
  • I think BC works with Automotive and Outdoor models except for

Can I use BaseCamp with my legacy Garmin device?

To my knowledge it does not work with Aviation or (dedicated) Marine models.

This is correct to an extent. Most Garmin devices, with the specific exclusions listed above, will work with BaseCamp on some level, however they must be USB. Serial devices don't work. Compatibly varies from one device to another. An older device will not be able to take advantage of all of the features offered by BaseCamp.
  • Can I expect more functionality the newer the device?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    Can I expect more functionality the newer the device?
    No.

It's necessary to do careful research. Following this forum is a good start, but it only deals with BC. The devices are a whole 'nother thing, and I find it near-impossible to determine which ones have what "issues." I bought a current (at the time) Nuvi 14 months ago and learned through the forums that I was much better off with an older (much older, as it turned out) device. I currently use both of them, but the older one (1490) is superior for longer journeys and both of them do strange things from time to time that I have no hope of ever figuring out.

My older devices working with MapSource ran circles around my current devices working with BaseCamp, but I need the new maps, particularly for Europe, so had to take the plunge into the dumbed-down less-functional world that Garmin currently lives in.

As I said earlier, do lots of online research. Good luck. I have made the new stuff work, but it hasn't been pretty.
  • No.

It's necessary to do careful research. Following this forum is a good start, but it only deals with BC. The devices are a whole 'nother thing, and I find it near-impossible to determine which ones have what "issues." I bought a current (at the time) Nuvi 14 months ago and learned through the forums that I was much better off with an older (much older, as it turned out) device. I currently use both of them, but the older one (1490) is superior for longer journeys and both of them do strange things from time to time that I have no hope of ever figuring out.

My older devices working with MapSource ran circles around my current devices working with BaseCamp, but I need the new maps, particularly for Europe, so had to take the plunge into the dumbed-down less-functional world that Garmin currently lives in.

As I said earlier, do lots of online research. Good luck. I have made the new stuff work, but it hasn't been pretty.

That's not very encouraging. I currently have a GPS V and Mapsource. I thought Mapsource was clunky till I tryed Basecamp. BC make MS look good.

I have been looking for two days now on the internet and am no closer than when I started.

Thanks to all for the help, any and all is appreciated.
    Phil
  • BC will not work with a GPS V. It is a serial (only) model from 1999.
  • BC will not work with a GPS V. It is a serial (only) model from 1999.

That much I understand. I'm trying to decide on what product to buy to replace the GPS V. Are all the new GPS devices from Garmin usable with Basecamp?

I understand that I'm going to have to learn BC, although I think MS is easier to use, just trying to figure out what works with what and what features/functionality isn't supported with BC.
  • What you're asking for doesn't exist. This is no list or documentation that shows every feature of BaseCamp and devices showing whether they're supported or not. BC and device firmware gets updated so maintaining such a list would be difficult.

As already stated BC works with the device classes I've already posted.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?50301-compatibillity-of-basecamp-to-Garmin-devices&p=206878#post206878

That's the best answer I, and probably others, can give.

Perhaps you're asking the wrong question. What features do you want in a GPS?
  • What you're asking for doesn't exist. This is no list or documentation that shows every feature of BaseCamp and devices showing whether they're supported or not. BC and device firmware gets updated so maintaining such a list would be difficult.

As already stated BC works with the device classes I've already posted.

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?50301-compatibillity-of-basecamp-to-Garmin-devices&p=206878#post206878

That's the best answer I, and probably others, can give.

Perhaps you're asking the wrong question. What features do you want in a GPS?

You know that is a good question. I'm not really sure what I want or need. I guess what I want is a GPS that all of it's functions work correctly and is compatible with the features BC has.

My old GPS V has served me well, but it's screen is small and memory is limited. I do know I want the biggest screen I can get. But it seems the devices with the biggest screens have the most bells and whistles also. I like the abillity to make a routes on my computer the way I want to go and then dump it to my GPS device. Do ALL new Garmin devices still let you do this?

BC appears to be made for someone that just wants the software and device to do all the thinking.

Anyway thanks for all the information and help, still reading all I can and will continue to research GPS devices.
  • I like the abillity to make a routes on my computer the way I want to go and then dump it to my GPS device. Do ALL new Garmin devices still let you do this?

No they don't. Also Garmin has got rid of the traditional Garmin "routes" on newer models and replaced them with the "Trip Planner". However BC creates "routes" so there is some conversion.

Some long time Garmin owners have bought one of the newer models on the assumption they can do what their old units did plus more. That is not necessarily true. One has to do quite a bit of research to get the right model (and even then there are compromises).

The bottom line is that Garmin has many models. Also the more (firmware) features you want the more $$$ you pay.