MapSource vs BaseCamp

Former Member
Former Member
This might be the same as "Fighting City Hall" but for the user of Garmin GPS for about 11 years and the MapSource Product, BaseCamp is not an equal replacement. First of all, MapSource is more intuitive and easier to navigate on my pc, which I do all of my route planning. Second, I am able to store separate files. I do one each for long rides, say 2 weeks / 3000 miles / 250 waypoints. I do a separate file for each year for shorter trips of a few hours, thus I have 2012, 2011, 2010 ... files. As for the Route Properties -> Directions screen, I can cut and paste it directly into Excel so that I can use this data to develope route itineraries. Instead of a row and column structure that is used with MapSource, BaseCamp pastes all the data in one column that is very difficult to work with, taking a lot of time to spread it back out into different columns. I use the Categories feature quite a bit to diferentiate things such as food, fuel, attractions, Harley Dealers, route plan, etc. I cannot do this with BaseCamp. Everything about the data in BaseCamp is difficult to work with. I am sorry but unless Garmin can restore features and make it easier to find your way around and save files BaseCamp is a looser in my mind.
  • On the plus side MapSource is still available and still usable--even with newer models if one cares to learn how.

MapSource is my primary Garmin utility. Although I use BaseCamp on occasions I import GDB files (from MapSource) or GPX files (from my devices). In short if you don't like BaseCamp continue to use MapSource.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    . . . BaseCamp is not an equal replacement. . . .Everything about the data in BaseCamp is difficult to work with. I am sorry but unless Garmin can restore features and make it easier to find your way around and save files BaseCamp is a loser in my mind.
    I (and many others) feel your pain. As has been mentioned, continuing to use Map Source is one approach. I'm still trying to work out all the ways BC creates issues, but it does some worthwhile things. Hiding in the wings is the fact that at some point MS will no longer work at all with the newer devices.

Whether any of this matters in a world in which people with a stand-alone GPS (as opposed to a smartphone) will be put in the same category as pocket-protector nerds remains to be seen.
  • Someone posted in another thread that Garmin now produce software for the'average user' - it might even have been you Steve. If anyone from Garmin is actually monitoring this thread, and I know that one or two indeed do, then I wonder if they might like to pass an opinion, if not the official line, on what is the definition of an average user? In the many years that I have been using Garmin devices I have never been asked, either by way of an online or written request to respond to a survey, neither have I heard of anyone who has. In light of this perhaps Garmin is not producing software suitable for the average user after all, but instead pampering to those in the organization that like change simply for changes sake.
    Now, on the other hand if, at some time in the near future, Garmin would desire to produce software for the average user then you might like to conduct a survey to establish what exactly users do with the software, or at least would like to do with the software and of how they would like to see it develop.
  • Someone posted in another thread that Garmin now produce software for the'average user'

That was me :)

The "average user", IMO, is one that buys their (nuvi) device in a big box store, knows nothing about GPS or the history of Garmin's products, has not researched the product line, and for the most part leaves that device on their car's dash. Some try and update their maps/firmware when prompted to (by their device or the default Garmin software they've installed) and either successfully do it or come here, or other forums, to get help.

In the US political world they're called a "low information" user.
  • Conclusion is that BaseCamp is designed for "average user" who will never use it :D
    And logically, opinions of people why try to use BaseCamp are ignored, since they aren't average users :D
  • Conclusion is that BaseCamp is designed for "average user" who will never use it :D

Not exactly :) Some "Average users" will use BaseCamp but they'll be in the minority of purchasers of GPS products (it'd be interesting to see the stats on that but the data probably doesn't exist).

Of course there are "high information" users that like and prefer BaseCamp. If BaseCamp fits their needs (it doesn't mine--I find the single database model too restrictive) then more power to them :D
  • Not exactly :) Some "Average users" will use BaseCamp but they'll be in the minority of purchasers of GPS products (it'd be interesting to see the stats on that but the data probably doesn't exist).

Of course there are "high information" users that like and prefer BaseCamp. If BaseCamp fits their needs (it doesn't mine--I find the single database model too restrictive) then more power to them :D

My informal poll of work mates and family is all own and use a Garmin or other GPS, most have never heard of BaseCamp. I have had my frustrations, but I am first in the 'GPS - computer interface software user camp' and second in the 'like and prefer BC over MS' camp. Now that I have some time in with BC, MapSource seems crude and clunky, BC offers quite a bit more- BUT, and it is a big but, you need to take time to learn it, and keep an open mind- and resist the natural impulse to compare it to MS . Or Streets and Trips.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    I have a Streetpilot 2720, I live full time in an RV. For years, I have use MS on my computer to plan my trips up to 6 months (some with 25 different legs) in advance and save each leg in one master trip. For the past 6 months I have started to "wean" myself away from MS to BC. It has been a painful adventure, but I am learning. The real test will be this summer, when I will use BC for all my trips.
  • Good luck. Like you I forced myself down the BC route, now I wouldn't go back :)